Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Azalea help

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Azalea help

Postby Jenamurray » Oct 21, 2008 12:30 pm

Hello everyone!

I am in a little bit of a pickle--I forgot to water my azalea before I left for the weekend. It's very dry in my office, and even though I gave it a good watering last Tuesday, when I came back on Monday my plant was very droopy and sad looking

I gave it a good watering, but it still hasn't significantly perked up. Parts of it look a bit greener, but a lot of the older growth is papery and dry. It also keeps dropping leaves.

How long should I wait until I prune back the dead stuff/give it up as a goner?

Thanks!
Attachments
Photo 1.jpg
Jenamurray

Re: Azalea help

Postby orchidguy » Oct 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Jen

Unfortunately you'll have to wait a few weeks to see what has died and what has'nt. Just a suggestion, but buy youself some cheap cellulose sponges, cut into pieces and place in the bottom of your potted azalea. The absorbion of water will keep a potted plant growing if ever you forget to water again
orchidguy

Postby Jenamurray » Oct 31, 2008 10:34 am

Thank you!

All of the leaves shriveled up and dropped off, so I ended up cutting back all the dead growth and now I have a pot of sticks on my desk.

I bought one of those glass balls that is supposed to automatically water the plant, so I shouldn't forget to water it in the future. In the meantime, do you think it will grow back? And should I fertilize it?

Thanks!
Jenamurray

Postby orchidguy » Oct 31, 2008 2:27 pm

Only time will tell if the azalea will make it, and dont fertilize. The time to fertilize is when plants are in growth.
orchidguy

Return to Indoor Plants