Garden Seed Exchange - Gardening Forums

Brugmansia - Angel Trumpets up for grabs

Forget the seed catalogues. Trading seeds is a great way to expand your garden with new plants, flowers, fruits, vegetables, shrubs, and trees.

Brugmansia - Angel Trumpets up for grabs

Postby green thumb guy » Oct 11, 2008 5:12 pm

It seems as though I am going to run out of space for a few medium sized brugs.

So.... here's what I'm thinking. They are free to whomever is capable and able to come pick them up. I will dig them out but you must provide your own large pot or heavy duty garbage bag to take it home in.

I have just finished trimming them back to a manageable size.

I have 2 white suaveleons and 2 pink suaveleons. I actually have posted pictures of the plants all leafed out and full of blooms.

I'm located in Brampton .

E-mail me if you are interested, and we can discuss. :D

The alternative is that these plants will be left out in the cold to die. :shock: :evil: :twisted:
green thumb guy

Re: Brugmansia - Angel Trumpets up for grabs

Postby green thumb guy » Oct 11, 2008 10:12 pm

Good point. I normally don't come here much either.

:)
green thumb guy

Postby Smitty » Oct 16, 2008 11:15 am

curiosity brought me here too!!
wish I still lived in southern ont!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby green thumb guy » Oct 23, 2008 9:10 am

All the brugs have been taken.

green thumb guy

Postby gramms » Nov 03, 2008 10:50 am

I realize that I am a liitle late, wondering if you would happen to have any seeds left over??

Kind regards
gramms

Postby green thumb guy » Nov 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi Gramms,

I was offering up a couple trees, not seeds. After reading your message, I'm thinking that you maybe confusing Brugmansia and Daturas.

Daturas are commonly propagated by seeds where as Brugmansia are commonly propagated by cuttings in our short season.

I do have acouple pods but I'm not sure if they will mature enough for the seeds to be viable.

Sorry.
green thumb guy

Postby gramms » Nov 03, 2008 1:28 pm

Many thanks for your quick reply, I had admired the plant, it had yellow trumpet shaped flower drooping downwards. I had read on line that they could be grown from seed or cuttings, so now I am not 100% sure. I was told that they were Brugmansia???

Again many thanks.
gramms

Postby green thumb guy » Nov 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi Gramms,

you are talking the right plant. I jumped to the wrong conclusion. See, brugs are kind of a funny case. If you are after a particular colour or flower shape, then the only way to be certain that you are going to get that flower is to get a cutting.

When it comes to seeds, you won't know what you are going to end up with. In one particular pod, you will probably end up with some seeds looking like the mother plant (pod parent) and some looking like the father plant (pollen parent). Then you will end up with some that are rather different - this might be good or bad.

This leads to many problems with people naming look a likes (which are gemnetically different) to one of the parents.

Any how, brug pods take a fair amount of time to mature. This usually goes beyond our spring and summer seasons. It's not that it's impossible to get seed pods growing - it's a lot of time and effort.

The yellow versi you saw is not that hard to get. There are several types around. Grand Marnier, Charles Grimaldi and probably several no names. I know that in the spring, Canadian Tire sells Patio brand plants in a cardboard sleeve. They have a yellow versi like you describe.

I hope his helps.

green thumb guy

Postby orchidguy » Nov 04, 2008 1:14 am

There used to be a Brug nursery in Ontario (if I remember correctly) that offer very good Brugs at good prices. The last ones I ordered were Pretty in Pink, Coral Glow, and Rosalind. They are grown in the greenhouse year round now because I think a whitefly can smell them a mile away. Oh yeah the name of the company was Brugmansias Etc. I dont know if they are still in business, but its worth a shot to find out. Oh GTG, you are absolutely right about starting from seed. I had my first pods about a year ago and the seedlings, although healthy, have not produced blooms as yet. I have a feeling it will be a hodge-podge of colours because a pink and the species sanguinea were blooming at the same time. If they flower, I'll post the pics
orchidguy

Return to Garden Seed Exchange