Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Hibiscus

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Hibiscus

Postby Marlene » Oct 25, 2008 9:59 pm

My husband bought a beautiful indoor hibiscus plant and put it in our sunroom. But after a couple of weeks, we noticed the plant is loosing it's leaves. There doesn't appear to be any spider mites on it.
Does anybody have any advice out there??? Help!
Marlene

Re: Hibiscus

Postby Eeyore » Oct 29, 2008 10:02 am

It may simply be reacting to the move. As long as there are no bugs and it is otherwise healthy I would just watch it and see if you get new growth.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby jennifer77 » Nov 07, 2008 11:48 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to me. It seems to be sending out a few new leaves but it it almost free of all leaves. I lost a lot of blooms as well, probably 10-15. Are they a plant that needs regular fertilizing or no? Any info would be very helpful! Thanks!
jennifer77

Postby orchidguy » Nov 08, 2008 10:39 am

Your hibiscus (rosa-sinensis) is reacting to the change in its evironment. It is now being subjected to lower light levels, decreased humidity and lack of fresh air. Their first instinct is to self preserve which means "starting from scratch". The leaf drop is a common reaction to this. With good light and reduced watering, your plant will bounce back. In winter with reduced light levels, their growth slows (but does'nt stop) so there really isn't any need to fertilize, and watering should be done when the top of the soil is dry to the touch. Even in the greenhouse, I never fertilize these beauties until the end of March. Hope this has helped a bit.
orchidguy

Postby isabelbrinck » Feb 12, 2009 10:44 pm

My Hibiscus (Candy Wind) has done rather well over the past 3 years or so. This Winter, however, I don't think it's doing so well. It hasn't bloomed in ages (since the summer, when last year it bloomed all year) and some of the leaves have dry edges, others yellow and fall off (just one a time, every week or so).
I have kept watering regularly and fertilizing monthly since I see some new leaf growth.
It had those little white flies a couple of months ago but I dealt with them through soap and regular washing of leaves, and I pruned it back about a month ago.
It's "healthy' but not thriving. Just winter blahs? What do you think?
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Return to Indoor Plants