Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Transplanting a Kalanchoe plant

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Transplanting a Kalanchoe plant

Postby evepet » Nov 09, 2008 12:12 pm

I recently transplanted a Kalanchoe plant, and I'm now wondering whether I used too small a pot? Please see the picture below. Will this size pot suffice for over the winter?
Attachments
IMG_0572.JPG
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Re: Transplanting a Kalanchoe plant

Postby orchidguy » Nov 09, 2008 7:59 pm

Absolutely not. Kalanchoes have a tendency to rot with too much soil around their rootball. They should not be overwatered over the winter months, and do not feed 'till spring.
orchidguy

Postby evepet » Nov 10, 2008 11:28 am

Oh good! :lol: I thought I'd read that Kalanchoe like small pots, but I couldn't remember where I saw/read that, so I was second guessing myself. The little plant's been doing really well since I transplanted it (actually it was slips that I had taken off another plant and had in water to root) so I was hoping I didn't have to move it. Thanks for your helpl.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby isabelbrinck » Feb 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Evepet, your K looks adorable. :D
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby sunkeeper » Apr 15, 2009 10:54 pm

I would only move up a pot size if the K is rootbound. Place outside for the summer in a semi shaded area of the garden. Fertilize. Bring indoors in the fall.
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Return to Indoor Plants