Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Plant ID PLUS A BONUS QUESTION ! !

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Plant ID PLUS A BONUS QUESTION ! !

Postby Mervyn » Nov 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Here's a plant I bought many years ago to put on my desk at work just to brighten my cubicle up a bit ( side story I started a trend there, within 2 weeks about 1/3 of the staff also bought plants :D )

Anywas I no longer worker there and this plant has been a houseplant ever since , without any problems.

First off, As I no longer have the label that came with it, anyone know what it is ? (pictures attached)

And the bonus question, I just noticed this the other day, this climbing plants has actually grabbed onto the wall (drywall) should I be concerned about this ?
Attachments
a.JPG
b.JPG
Mervyn

Re: Plant ID PLUS A BONUS QUESTION ! !

Postby orchidguy » Nov 01, 2008 7:35 pm

Hiya Mervyn

What you have there is a variety of philodendron or a juvenile monstera. It may be cordatum or erubescens (cant really tell from the picture) . There are so many species of this plant that it could be any of the "tree" philodendrons or an immature monstera variety.Those roots are aerial. Most of these tropical plants are not terrestrial, and grow in the crux of huge trees. The aerial roots are a good thing, but they can damage walls and woodwork, but it is a sign that your plant is healthy.
orchidguy

Postby Mervyn » Nov 01, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks for the info Orchidguy , do you know if it will penetrate deep enough into the drywall and damage the vapor barrier behind it ?

Also if I decide to detach it from the wall, will that damage the plant ? ?
Mervyn

Postby orchidguy » Nov 03, 2008 5:48 pm

No. They shouldnt be able to dig through gypsum. Aerial roots usually cling to surfaces, but will find any dark crack to go into, so it will look for open seams in drywall, cracks in the woodwork or spaces around baseboards
orchidguy

Postby Mervyn » Nov 08, 2008 11:48 am

Ok, thanks for the info :)

Now im looking forward to how far this thing will spread :)
Mervyn

Postby orchidguy » Nov 09, 2008 8:11 pm

In the greenhouse I've had them spread over 30' (ft). They were located on the underside of the benches
orchidguy

Return to Indoor Plants