Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

xmas toy info

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

xmas toy info

Postby jazz » Nov 21, 2008 1:56 pm

I am looking for a racing car set for 3 yr old. Apparently yu push the car back and forth and it rides on the track. I cant for the life of me find one. Thanks Jazz
jazz

Re: xmas toy info

Postby Smitty » Nov 21, 2008 2:01 pm

try googling fisher price race car sets.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby butterfly » Nov 21, 2008 2:28 pm

Fisher Price had a large toy recall for lead

http://kids-toys.suite101.com/article.c ... toy_recall
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 22, 2008 1:21 pm

Most toys are now made in China & the quality based on the importer's price demands hence, there have been a lot of recalls over the past 18 months. Mainly because of lead content in paints as well as toxic emissions from plastics.
For this reason, wood toys have been making a comeback. Those that I make for donation at Christmas to children of needy families have no finish on them & depend on different species to provide color contrasts because most mommies are not aware that in Canada lead in paints has been banned since the late 70's & I do not want any child denied the use of a toy that I have made. I do not make toys to sell simply because I have never been able to put a price on a child's smile.

Lee
Attachments
Animated Toys.jpg
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Laura » Nov 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Oh how wonderful . . I just love the froggie !!!
Laura

Postby Smitty » Nov 25, 2008 2:17 pm

I am impressed with your work Lee and your caring and sharing for the less fortunate kids...world needs a whole lot more people like you in it
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby evepet » Nov 25, 2008 2:23 pm

What beautifully handmade toys Lee. You do beautiful work. Any child would be delighted with such a special gift. Can you give me an idea of how large they are?... it's hard to get the size in perpective from your picture.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby butterfly » Nov 25, 2008 2:27 pm

jazz wrote:I am looking for a racing car set for 3 yr old. Apparently yu push the car back and forth and it rides on the track. I cant for the life of me find one. Thanks Jazz

Jazz I was looking at a car and race track set by 'Leapfrog" for my grandson last week

It looked and felt very sturdy and well built I think it would hold up for years.

I do like their collections for kids

it was $134.99 for the set with 2 cars.

I saw this set in a toy store but I think the Bay and Zellers sells Leapfrog too
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 25, 2008 2:43 pm

Evepet: The ducks & frogs are roughly 6" tall x 8" long. The rail hand cart is overall about 8" tall x 11" long. For some perspective of size the wheels are 2" in diameter (if you click on the pic...it enlarges).
Everything is built from patterns in a book "Animated Toys" by David Wakefield except the alligator which is my own design. I also like to fool around with the author's designs. If you look closely at the ducks, the one on the left is as per the author's plans. The one on the right differs in that the wings are seperate from the body & of cantrasting wood. Also the head is seperate so that when pulled the duck not only waddles but quacks as well.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby butterfly » Nov 25, 2008 2:50 pm

I really like them Lee

You do a fine job any child would love
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence