Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Perhaps some help for S.A.D. sufferers...

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Perhaps some help for S.A.D. sufferers...

Postby butterfly » Nov 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Beleive me her moods are different

One day she is so up and excited about life and the next thing so down

Up and down, holy smokes I was starting to stay away from her myself and thought that is no way to treat a friend

Her hubby is on the verge of leaving and so is her oldest , a son.

I know another person to and I am wondering if that is what is wrong with him
Mind you he does only have 1/2 his heart left and diabetic too but holy smokes. I do know depression goes with people who have heart problems but...

I got an email from him yeterday asking how my day was and he said his day was awful becuase God hated him and always did.

What a statement I thought.

Men do not or will not admit they have a problem. I know he had a doc appointment today so I hope I talked him into telling the doc about his low negative moods

I always hated to be a round negative people, they often can get others down too

These 2 is all I can handle . I don't see him often although lives in the same county. I hope he does tell his doc but doubt it. Its not manly I think men think.

I thank God it is sunshine I need and on nice days I will get the fresh air just in and out of the car as I do get out most days
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Countryboy » Nov 20, 2008 7:50 pm

My degree is in Psychology and Sociology. One of our texts at school was "The Myth of Mental Illness" by Thomas Szasz. The term 'mental illness' was becoming recognized as inaccurate as early as the 70's.

An inbalance of seratonin or norepinephrine . . causing the symptoms of both depression and bi-polar disorders . . . is often exaggerated by stress but is known now to be strictly a physiological disorder.

Whatever serves to calm our systems down will work to alleviate the symptoms. That can be all of the above . . . rest, fresh air, a positive attitude, good food, friends . . . even chocolate. They all work to some extent for low-grade depression.

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby butterfly » Nov 20, 2008 8:02 pm

Countryboy wrote:My degree is in Psychology and Sociology. One of our texts at school was "The Myth of Mental Illness" by Thomas Szasz. The term 'mental illness' was becoming recognized as inaccurate as early as the 70's.

An inbalance of seratonin or norepinephrine . . causing the symptoms of both depression and bi-polar disorders . . . is often exaggerated by stress but is known now to be strictly a physiological disorder.

Whatever serves to calm our systems down will work to alleviate the symptoms. That can be all of the above . . . rest, fresh air, a positive attitude, good food, friends . . . even chocolate. They all work to some extent for low-grade depression.

Frank . . ON5a

I beleive every bit of this Frank and frankly proved it for myself
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby Eeyore » Nov 21, 2008 12:07 am

Yes, those things work for low grade depression. Low grade meaning you can still haul yourself out of a chair to enjoy these things. These things won't necessarily work for people in a deep depression.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby butterfly » Nov 21, 2008 12:09 pm

I know people with heart conditions do suffer from depresssion

I just got a call from my negative friend. He was always complaining of being so tired

WEll he has some kind of heart desease that is shrinking his heart.
Forget what it is called.

In his last email of Wed when he said God hates him he said he was so tired all the time he could barely lift his arms to type

A friend of his called me about an hour ago

He had a HA last nite and not doing very well, it detroyed more of his heart. This is hi 1st HA and he won't survive another. He needs a transplant asap his friend told me. That is not going to be easy

Gad I am so worried
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby MareE » Nov 21, 2008 2:39 pm

This is a VERY ruminative thread. Have to think a lot about a few things re: MI in my Life. Thanks very much, treasured Tante. Currently on anti-depressant and "happy pill" but hold firm on diet. Never felt a twinge when the Sun don't shine, unless I'm on vacation where it's supposed to be Sunny. And that was a coupla decades ago.

Niece;o} encouraged by experiences of others
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Laura » Nov 21, 2008 2:54 pm

For a while after I was diagnosed with Meneries I was depressed.I got in a real funk . . . until I accepted the facts . . . and adopted a friend with dark curly hair,big brown eyes and a wet nose.A theraputic fur ball was a great help . . . I had to focus on someone besides me.
Laura

Postby MareE » Nov 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Hear ya, Laura. If it weren't for the adopted cats and dogs...well. They're Life savers and don't even know it. Muzzling from Jack to Sarah. It's okay. He's fixed. LOL

Serious like I wasn't NOT before, you're Aces like so many people here. Sincere TAs.

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Catherine » Nov 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Eeyore you are so right. These things work for slight depression. But when you are 'in the jaws of the black dog' you can't come up with what it takes to get out of the chair - let alone go for a walk. It is even worse when well meaning folks tell you to just get moving - or anything that helps them to get over the blues. There is no way to explain that you really truly can't do it. Depression is not 'feeling down' or 'having a bad day'. (Kind of like the difference between stubbing your toe and having your leg hanging off) It is serious and sufferers need to get help. And if someone you know is suffering - drag them to get help. Sometimes when you're in a hole you don't even know it anymore. Just the horrid sense that something is wrong.
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby butterfly » Nov 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Lyn

You are right, my friend tells me she feels like she is in a black hole and can't get out

My man friend I am sure he feels that way to

He was married twice and both wives died of breast cancer and he has been depressed since the last one died but sinking further.

he won't admit it but now that he is in hospital I hope the nurses pick up the depression

He tells me he doen't care if he dies. I am sure I am the only one he tellss these things to

I feel a responsibility to tell his doctor or someone cause I am afriad if he doen't get help and I don't tell someone he needs help and something happens it wil be my fault and I can't live with that guilt.
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence