Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

weather's a comin'

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

weather's a comin'

Postby Trailblaze1 » Nov 24, 2008 8:05 am

I have been reading about the snows and cold you have in NS and southernish parts of Ontario. We have been strangely void of it so far, but I can see a storm is coming our way later today.
Your stories of humour, your photos of your lovely white landscapes, have buoyed me enough to know I can also weather the cold winter, whatever it brings.
Keep up the good spirits, plz. It's contagious. and keep those lovely winter photos coming too? Loving them...
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Re: weather's a comin'

Postby butterfly » Nov 24, 2008 8:21 am

Yes it is

I find it colder than normal for thi time of year and of course more snow than normal

Fri and Sat we got a foot.

I forgot about cleaning my car off Sat so when I went to go to chruch I had a foot of frozen snow on my car

I knew I would never get it off in time to go as I am 35-40 min from the church

so I came back in the house and crawled back in bed since I only got 3 hours sleep anyway

New Glasgow Santa parade was cancelled for Sunday, Many who were to be in the parade as the Red Surge form Halifax refuesed to be there, travelling was not good

The side walks and streets could not be cleared in time and would be too dangerous with little ones climbing over snow banks to see
Santa as he and his eleves threw candy to the kids

MY daughter was the organizer for this event and the nasty comments about the canelling that were in the paper, wow!!!

Guess some people don't understand what it takes to clear 30 cm off sidewalks and streets , saftey rules must comply but the complainers would have been the first to sue if anything happened.

I wonder why the weather forcasters throught we would get little snow this year and be very mild

Global Warming??? a joke

can't please them all

So my day was cleaning the fridge abd doing 3 loads of washing and a good snooze then it took a hour and half to chop off all that ice/ snow off my car
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Trailblaze1 » Nov 24, 2008 10:23 am

DH reads a lot of science mags. He says that there is talk in some circles that the earth is due for another ice age, and maybe, just mebbe, this 'global warming' thing is staving it off.
So I'm planning to enjoy every minute that we have left. I keep reminding myself that we have 'only moments to live'. Life is so very short. Why not make it wonderful!
Trailblaze1

Postby butterfly » Nov 24, 2008 10:36 am

I read a lot of science stuff too and during the 70's here was a lot of chatter about an ice age coming.

How it got switched to gloabl warming, not sure (think by David S) but now Gore seems to have scared a lot of people to beleive it

Yet most top scientists in th world do not support Global warming.

David S is not a sciencist and I tend not to beleive too much he says. But he makes a lot of $$$ every time he opens his mouth and ince Gore lost the election he had to make money and have himself known somehow
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 24, 2008 7:38 pm

Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Eeyore » Nov 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Trailblaze1 wrote:DH reads a lot of science mags. He says that there is talk in some circles that the earth is due for another ice age, and maybe, just mebbe, this 'global warming' thing is staving it off.
So I'm planning to enjoy every minute that we have left. I keep reminding myself that we have 'only moments to live'. Life is so very short. Why not make it wonderful!

There is a growing scientific community that believes that GW is a bunch of hogwash and that much evidence to the contrary is being buried, hidden and not used in research papers.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 25, 2008 7:50 pm

Yes, we have gone from an impending ice age to global warming & now possibly back to an ice age. I take these doomsayers all with a grain of salt & that includes the motorcycle guy & Gore.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Trailblaze1 » Nov 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Well, Suzuki IS a scientist, (not techno but bio) and I admire his work very much.

Suzuki received his BA from Amherst College in Massachusetts in 1958, and his Ph.D in zoology from the University of Chicago in 1961.

Early in his research career he studied genetics, using the popular model organism Drosophila melanogaster (fruit flies). To be able to use his initials in naming any new genes he found, he studied Drosophila temperature-sensitive phenotypes (DTS). (As he jokingly noted at a lecture at Johns Hopkins University, the only alternative was "damn tough skin".) He was a professor in the genetics department (stated in his book Genethics: The Ethics of Engineering Life, 1988) at the University of British Columbia for almost forty years (from 1963 until his retirement in 2001), and has since been professor emeritus at a university research institute
Trailblaze1

Postby B_BQ » Nov 25, 2008 9:46 pm

butterfly wrote: David S is not a sciencist and I tend not to beleive too much he says. But he makes a lot of $$$ every time he opens his mouth and ince Gore lost the election he had to make money and have himself known somehow

I think Dr. David Suzuki might be considered a scientist BF. Not a medical doctor, but he has a degree as a geneticist. I'm not sure he does much of what he was trained to do, and has become much more well known as an environmentalist.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Trailblaze1 » Nov 26, 2008 7:13 pm

Well, the snows are still a-comin' down. Here's a pretty pic I took this morning. It's even deeper tonight.
Trailblaze1

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence