Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

An unexpected encounter....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

An unexpected encounter....

Postby bluebird » Nov 24, 2008 11:02 am

I brought my cammie along yesterday when I took Tillydog for a nice long hike along one of the many nature trails in this area. We were walking along the river's edge, when suddenly we met up with a Great Blue Heron doing a little ice fishing.

Tilly was so good; I whispered to her...shhh...wait... and she held perfectly still while I clicked a few pics under the light of the fading sun. Good birding dog!

Then we went off on our hike and the heron continued his fishing. A bit late in the season to see one of these guys here!

bluebird

Re: An unexpected encounter....

Postby MareE » Nov 24, 2008 11:16 am

GOOOOD Tillydoggers! Surprised Great Blue has both boidy feet in the water, Cars! Where're his insulated hip-waders this late in the season? heeheee

Mars;o} happy you're back home to the trails at your doorstep
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby bluebird » Nov 24, 2008 11:58 am

Har-har Marsi...! Yes, he needs some velly long skinny fleece-lined hip waders...! :lol:
bluebird

Postby MareE » Nov 24, 2008 12:14 pm

He can borrow mine, Cars, and he wouldn't mind the leaks, tho' I suspect they would reach only to his knobby knees. Plus, he'd become a LOUD, awkwardly floundering fisher, just as I used to be. ee ee

Mars;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby earwig » Nov 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Did you check for an extension cord? I bet he plugged in a bird bath heater to stand on.

I saw a lone duck on the pond below me before the storm on Saturday. I have checked since as I was going to take him corn but he must have finally left, I am only a hop, skip, and a jump from the Wild Life Park so hopefully he at least managed to get there.

Your photos are always a pleasure to view.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Eeyore » Nov 25, 2008 12:59 pm

Wow, unexpected encounter BB. And Tilly is such a good girl!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Nov 25, 2008 2:14 pm

another great moment captured by your cammie Cars. makes me shiver tho thinking how cold his/her(?) tootsies must be
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby bluebird » Nov 25, 2008 3:19 pm

lol Betty...that would be one loooong extension cord..but perhaps he had a solar panel up in the tree to hook in to. :lol:
Thanks and I always enjoy your photos too!

Thanks Lyn and Smitty...yes that water must have been very cold! There were quite a few ducks about as well and it is so amazing how they manage to stay warm.

(Today the chickadees have finally found my feeders..hopefully they'll let the other birds in the area know the feed shack is open and ready to serve! )
bluebird

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 25, 2008 3:54 pm

I tried to respond yesterday morning & that is when the forum crashed as I had posted only a few minutes earlier.

A nice shot Carol. I was hoping to get a good one myself when we saw a heron land at shore the other side of a bridge from where we were standing. As I crossed the bridge out of the birds view it took off again. :cry:
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Return to Over the Garden Fence