Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

other forums you belong to?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: other forums you belong to?

Postby Countryboy » Nov 25, 2008 3:22 pm

We MSN Groups people are just new to 'forums'. Since we knew nothing abt anything other than Groups . . . and there were thousands of Groups . . on every topic u could think of . . that's where we stayed.

In there I belong to several groups/forums . . PSP, political, friendship 'rooms' and even manage an MSN gardening group called Canadian Gardens. All of these tho are coming to an end as MSN is closing Groups in February.

I'm into Facebook on a regular basis . . luv it for keeping in touch with friends and family.

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby bluewillow » Nov 25, 2008 3:29 pm

I've given some of the Forums up for now.

However, i do belong to Facebook as I now can view my son's photos.

Find it rather confusing to navigate though.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 25, 2008 3:46 pm

Smitty wrote:I have a Facebook membership but don't use it often...can't figure it out!

That makes two of us Smitty, I joined a month ago & two folk here welcomed me but I cannot understand what its all about.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Laura » Nov 25, 2008 3:48 pm

I was on a forum about my disability for a while but not now . . how long can you listen to sick talk. . laff.I did go to a forum about photography for a while too but it got to be just arguements about which was the best equipment so I dropped out of there too.The one for Schnauzers seemed dominated by breeders and that's not my interest.

I much prefer this forum,it has the best people,the greatest information . . . and OTGF is great because you can just chat about anything. . . this is a change as most forums are one subject only.
Laura

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 25, 2008 4:15 pm

Laura
I did go to a forum about photography for a while too but it got to be just arguments about which was the best equipment

Laf Laura, for the most part that is just friendly banter, a lot of tongue-in-cheek. When I first joined the photo forum I said we had both Nikon & Canon cameras & both camps figured I was weird. It was just teasing of course. A couple weeks ago I posted this picture asking what was wrong with it. Hey, a little humor always helps.

Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby Laura » Nov 25, 2008 4:23 pm

I know what you mean Ron,you need to have humor but what started happening was not funny.

The people on this particular forum were being cruel and vicious and it just kept going around and the same arguement kept on.Most of the people left and I don't blame them,I tried to stay there but after someone took my picture and used it as thier own,and would not correct it even when asked kindly I too left.I do go back occasionally but it is not a nice forum anymore.
Laura

Postby Smitty » Nov 25, 2008 4:41 pm

That makes two of us Smitty, I joined a month ago & two folk here welcomed me but I cannot understand what its all about.[/quote]
maybe one of them could give us the low down in 'puter illiterate' terms
? everyone tells me how great it is to stay in touch with family and friends but it's just downright frustrating...but thinking..it can't really be that hard....can it????? :? :? :? :? :? :?
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 25, 2008 5:43 pm

The way I look at it is that I am already interacting with them on this forum so why bother with another. I must be missing something. :?
Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby Countryboy » Nov 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Yr right Smitty . . lol . . Facebook is pretty simple.

Signing in takes u directly to yr Home page. The main item there is yr News Feed. When any of yr Friends change their Status, post a pic *unlimited storage* to their albums or to a group, post a Comment to a pic or post . . or basically do anything in Facebook . . . u are notified in yr News Feed. So this tells u on a regular basis what all yr Friends are doing.

All the other places u get to are accessible from yr Home page.

Set up yr Profile with as much information as u like. The atmosphere in Facebook is much younger than most forums so people tend to be more open . . . most under our own names . . even us 'mature' members. lol U can control to an excellent degree just who can view yr Information . . . even amongst yr Friends . . and certainly to Facebook members in general.

Friends - Generally yr first Friends are family members . . very common. Then Facebook will search yr e-mail contacts to find the Facebook members amongst that list. Then u include all the CG members that are in Facebook. Pretty soon u have a busy News Feed and yr hooked! :) lol

PS . . IMO stay away from the 'Applications' for now. That's the subject of another tutorial. :roll: lol

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby bluewillow » Nov 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Smitty wrote:I have a Facebook membership but don't use it often...can't figure it out!

I too Smitty. However, as mentioned I only view the happenings of several friends and do comment from time to time.

I do not consider Facebook a Forum such as OTGF.

Yes, a younger lot on Facebook. One way of checking up on ones children :wink:

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence