Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

look who else likes birdfeeders

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: look who else likes birdfeeders

Postby MareE » Nov 27, 2008 10:36 am

Timed out whilst composing reply, Trailblaze. So, it's a shallow canoeable pondette. Dam beavers sure are architects. Admire them immensely and also miss city life a lot. The smell of a submerged log is invigoratingly refreshing.

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Trailblaze1 » Nov 27, 2008 11:07 am

Mare, what do you mean you 'miss city life a lot'? or is it the beavers who are missing the city life?....your post befuddles me.

The smell of a beaver pond can be quite.......interesting.....(to say the least). I have a very keen sense of smell and love all that nature delivers up to my nostrils. I even like to know where dead critters lay, so as to either remove or avoid them.

but I always look forward to the muddy smells of spring. I think that this mud must have healing properties, as my old dog (now gone 3 years) used to eat it when she didn't feel well. We think she ate too much 2-4-D laced spring waters from the park behind us, when we lived in Kanata. In her last days, at age 11.5, she gave up eating altogether.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby butterfly » Nov 27, 2008 2:18 pm

Really nice deer shots TB

Beautiful animal and I am surprised they are so calm with hunting season

Maybe they feel safe by your house
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby evepet » Nov 27, 2008 2:36 pm

Beautiful pictures of beautiful animals. Like somebody said below, I can't remotely imagine wanting to eat venison when I look at these graceful creatures.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby MareE » Nov 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Please forgive my oversight. You wouldn't be the first one to say that my posts befuddle, Trailblaze. LAFFS

Sorry for loss of your beloved dogger. What breed or mix was she? Guessing Beagle.

I thought you'd mentioned that you missed metropolitan life. I certainly do. Know for sure you gifted me a bar of warm pine needle-scented soap. My favourite smell.

Currently suburban Mare;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Trailblaze1 » Nov 27, 2008 5:30 pm

My dog was a black lab/collie mix. She was gentle as a lamb but barked a lot if anyone came near the house, thus a good watchdog. We didn't see any deer during the years she lived with us out here. We buried her on the site, under a tree, with a lovely rock gravestone which DH carved her name into. Now I'm feeling sad talking about her.

We were not intending to ever have any more pets, but there are many stray cats out here, and once they choose your home, there's no running away. I now have three felines to love.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby butterfly » Nov 27, 2008 8:38 pm

TB

And now you own 3 more pets

Kind of hard to resist isn't it
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence