Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

other forums you belong to?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: other forums you belong to?

Postby Smitty » Nov 27, 2008 10:52 pm

MareE wrote:How extremely roood of them, Smitty! I'm...uh...befuddled by the roooodness of the brats!

Inge, let's drag them by ears to the stile and make THEM clear the steps to larn respect for we old farts .LAFF!

MareE;o}

LOL!!!
the niece is within dragging distance of you Mare. the daughter I'll send via cropduster friend. please video dragging by ears and putting them to work.
smitty hoping cleaning stile steps is MUCH worse than mucking stalls :D
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Trailblaze1 » Nov 28, 2008 7:08 am

Hello, fellow soapmaker!

I make CP and sometimes HP, Cpop too. Paul's soapmaking forum is really friendly. He began it after suffering the slings and arrows of that one bigger forum you are probably referring to. I got savaged there too, quite a few years back, after being a longstanding member.
Some people resent op's successes.
I've been selling locally for 7 years, and have thoroughly enjoyed the entire endeavour. I have one wholesale account here in Perth, and used to do four shows a year, but have scaled back, to have time to do only what I love, and not respond to people-pressures.
I now teach soapmaking to avid students only. Two of my friends are now competing with me for local business, but that's ok by me. Lots of room for competition in this field, cuz it's so diverse.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 28, 2008 10:44 am

earwig wrote:I have lurked on a few but usually aways hang out on CG.

What I have being getting addicted to lately is reading the comments on articles in my paper online or on the CBC news.

A lot of different perspectives and varied opinions are offered and I do see where people respond to others.

There is always a few that should be edited for stupidty...

Ain't that the truth! I am amazed by how many people assume a conspiracy, not matter what the issue in the paper! It makes me wonder if I am on the same planet as the other readers in my community. LOL I find the newspaper blogs to be more disturbing than, say, letters to the editor.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby thegardener » Nov 28, 2008 1:06 pm

I agree with you Trailblazer. That's wonderful that you teach and pass your experience on to others. There are two or three other soapers in my area. We all have totally different soaps and we all get along just fine :) I work full time so have not ventured from CP. When I retire, I would like to try other forms of soapmaking. I also make lotions and other skin care products and I'm an aromatherapist so incorporate that as well. My next study will be about herbs. Some day I hope to learn about photography too. I retire in 18 months........I can't wait!
Nice to meet a fellow soaper here!!
South Central BC
Zone 5
thegardener

Postby jazz » Nov 28, 2008 5:38 pm

I would luv to start making soap. and can yu please give me the name of a good forum. And where do I begin. Is it complicated. Can anyone do it. Thanks Jazz
jazz

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Soap - I think of wood ashes & lard but I am likely wrong.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby thegardener » Dec 01, 2008 12:52 pm

jazz wrote:I would luv to start making soap. and can yu please give me the name of a good forum. And where do I begin. Is it complicated. Can anyone do it. Thanks Jazz

Hi Jazz: Soaping isn't difficult and it's a lot of fun. But it's very important that you get a good soaping book and read it carefully before you begin. To my mind, this is the best soaping forum around right now: http://www.soapmakingforum.com The people there are very friendly and helpful. I can give you the names of a couple of good soaping books later. I'm at work now and don't have my favourite books here. I don't want to give you any false information.
South Central BC
Zone 5
thegardener

Postby thegardener » Dec 01, 2008 1:14 pm

Ron Evers wrote:Soap - I think of wood ashes & lard but I am likely wrong.

Many people soap using lard and tallow. My soap is vegetable based so I use vegetable shortening in place of the lard but many others use palm oil. There are countless numbers of oils that can be used. Formerly, soap was made using wood ashes but the results are inconsistent depending on the wood etc. We now use lye (NaOH). Water is also necessary
South Central BC
Zone 5
thegardener

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence