Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Christmas Decorations

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Christmas Decorations

Postby Sheikea » Nov 28, 2008 10:11 am

Last night as I go through the bins of Christmas Decorations I have,I discover how old and boring it has all become to me.So I snuggle on the couch with hubby and explain what I find.He hands me his bank card and says "why don't you go out for a bit and get some new ones"So off I go.Only to be still disappointed with decorations I find in the stores.I find hardly any Santa's but piles of snowmen..Since when did Christmas become about snowmen?Anyone else find that Christmas decorations are going a little blah?Maybe its just me,but I found nothing inspiring at all.I wanted a really nice Nativity set but they are all cheap lookin and i not they cosst morethen my children if they were weighed in gold. :? :roll:
Sheikea

Re: Christmas Decorations

Postby jazz » Nov 28, 2008 10:23 am

Same thing here. We dont say merry xmas anymore its happy holidays.

Xmas is slowly slipping through and disappearing. Buy, buy buy. Thats all we see in the flyers. Nativity scenes. Havnt seen those in awhile.

Thank goodness my mom gave me hers which I treasure. Good thread this am. Jazz
jazz

Postby kelly_m » Nov 28, 2008 10:55 am

I too have a Nativity set my mom gave me...the one we kids grew up with. Oxen missing horns, shepherd missing a hand, Joseph glued back together again....wouldn't trade it for my kids if they were weighed in gold!!

Yes...pretty blah...although I find the best assortment of baubles and things at Crappy Tire.

I guess the best place to be looking for "real" Christmas decorations is in gift shops....

BTW Jazz...I never write Xmas...always Christmas. When I was explaining it to my kids I told them because it simply takes the Christ out of Christmas....Nothing against you BTW it just sparked that thought.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby jazz » Nov 28, 2008 10:58 am

Kelly I understand. Its just shorter to write. I do this because I have trouble typing. Jazz
jazz

Postby kelly_m » Nov 28, 2008 11:01 am

I understand that, Jazz...was my kids' excuse too (easier to write that is) only they DON'T have difficulty writing so there should be no excuse for them!!! :wink:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby jazz » Nov 28, 2008 11:03 am

Glad to know yu understand. Thats why I luv this forum. People understand so fast. And then we forget our little disabilities. Jazz
jazz

Postby Eeyore » Nov 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Sheikea, I have lots of snowmen because I love them but I know what you are saying. The place to find good Christmas decorations is craft sales or gift shops. Only buy what you feel strongly about.
I still have a lot of "junk" but a lot of the "junk" has a history, which is why I keep it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Venice » Nov 28, 2008 12:54 pm

Homesense has some lovely decorations. And their prices aren't too bad, and they usually have some one of kind pieces. I have a great star I bought there, it's really heavy though so I do have trouble getting the tree to hold it straight hehehe.

Can Tire usually has some nice stuff too. I did see some at Fortino's as well. I like a 'theme' idea, but so far mine is still a bit of a hodgepodge hehe oh well.

Good luck, can't wait to see everyone pics of their trees and stuff. I can't wait to get mine up, I have to wait till after Dec 8th. Arrgggggg. oh well.

Ven
Venice

Postby agedgardener2 » Nov 28, 2008 3:26 pm

I'm sorry to say I havestopped putting up a tree.Old age! however I may change my ,ind this year.I've told you the long boring story of my lack of balance.Well a new young Dr. has come to town and has found my problem.....a blocked sinus.It has been very painful for the last year or do.He gave me a new nasal spray and from the first day I used it I have felt better and today I walked fo a couple of blocks a cane or walker. I butt wascaused by allergies.I don't have to give up my beloved cat Willow either.Anyway I may put up my tree now.My decorations are nearly all handmade,Some needlepoint my late sister made,some little figures crocheted in Mexi.co doing Christmas and winter activities.When my children were young we decorated glass ball with pearls,sequins, velvet and rhinestones.we have happy memories of doing this before Christmas around the dining room table.The table was ne ver the same but it sure got us in the spirit of the season.I Forgot the snowflakes I used to crochet.I had a live tree in a bushel I basket at the store which I decorated with the stars which I sold and after work at night I would crochet some more to replace those I sold.I think I'll get bout the crochet hook and see if I can still do them. To get the spirit you need to put some of yourself in your decorations.Anybody with the money canbuy the stuff in the stores but if you make thing they will become more precious with time! JOY
agedgardener2

Postby Sheikea » Nov 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Point well taken Agedgardner.I just wrapped a few presents that I am taking home to Medicine Hat this weekend so that I have less to take with me when the time comes.I do have some of my moms older Christmas decorations as well,but they don't mean anything to my family,just to me.One day I will find the decorations that inspire me I am sure.So sad I have 5 boxes of Halloween stuff and only 2 of Christmas..LOl go figure..Although I am glad to see I am not the only one feeling that way about the whole Christmas decoration thingy.. :)
Sheikea

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence