Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Karen is going digital

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Karen is going digital

Postby Marsher » Nov 28, 2008 4:43 pm

Karen has decided to give up on 35 mm film photography and so she is retiring her Canon Rebel and going digital.

Have bought her a Canon PowerShot A650 IS from an online sale at Best Buy... it is waiting for me to pick it up at the postal outlet at Shoppers.

Best buy has , what I consider a great online only price for this camera... the only thing I do not like about it is that it takes AA batteries... would have perfered a rechargable battery pack.

Here is the review from Steve's..

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_rev ... _a650.html
Located Brantford Ontario Zone 5 B
Marsher

Re: Karen is going digital

Postby Laura » Nov 28, 2008 4:56 pm

I am sure she will love it . . I know what you mean about the battery thing.My camera just sits on the dock to recharge.

Oh she is going to have fun with the new toy . . I'm excited for her.
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Nov 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Nice! Can you put rechargeable AA's in it? I use those in my Canon cameras.
The one thing about it using AA's is that you can get those anywhere. My Olympus has a special battery which means if I travel I have to have the battery charger with me. With the AA's if I happen to run out of juice I can always buy regular AA's.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Marsher » Nov 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Yes, I will be picking up a couple of sets of rechargables AAs... I just find that the packs tend to last longer per charge the the Rechargable AA do, but that could have changed since the last time I had a camera that took them... my last 2 DSLRs have taken a pack and I just keep one in the camera and the other charged.
Located Brantford Ontario Zone 5 B
Marsher

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 28, 2008 5:09 pm

I prefer AA rechargeable batteries because you can carry a spare set with you & in a pinch use regular AAs available anywhere. I am sure Karen will be happy with this newer version of what Jeanne has (A570).

Hopefully Karen will use the creative settings & not only shoot in auto modes as does Jeanne.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Eeyore » Nov 28, 2008 5:10 pm

The Olympus I have is older and the batteries don't hold a charge very well at all. I need to get new ones but the camera is so old it almost isn't worth it. It takes great still photos though! I am sure the newer battery packs are much better.
I keep 2 sets of rechargable batteries, one in the camera and one in the bag, and then a set of regular batteries. I found that I could go for about 2 days and then charge the batteries.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby joan w » Nov 28, 2008 7:50 pm

I find that the newest batteries hold a charge much longer than when I first started using them in '04. Hope Karen likes the change.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 28, 2008 8:25 pm

joan w wrote:I find that the newest batteries hold a charge much longer than when I first started using them in '04. Hope Karen likes the change.

Joan, it depends on the mAh rating of the battery. With the NiMH rechargeable batteries and a rating of 2400 mAh we will get about about 400 shots with our cameras (S5s).

The higher the mAh rating the longer life between charges so if anyone is looking to buy new AA rechargeable NiMH batteries check the rating. Personally I would not buy less than 2400 mAh. I hope this helps someone.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby OGrubber » Nov 29, 2008 9:27 am

Karen is going to love it, Marsher!

You'll just have to keep reminding her for awhile that she doesn't have to make every shot "count".

That, for me was the most amazing part of switching to digi. laf!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Return to Over the Garden Fence