Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: 5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 29, 2008 9:02 pm

You do good Kelly.

With only the two of us, we are putting out garbage about once in three months. A little shorter time for the recycle bin. In the cold months most burnable material goes into the fireplace.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Countryboy » Nov 29, 2008 9:07 pm

CBC radio today was talking abt the collection of plastic that's now floating in the Pacific Ocean. Abt twice the size of Texas . . . called the Pacific Garbage Patch. The article is a bit of a read but the point of it went beyond the obvious hazard of just having it all floating there.

Apparently the stuff does finally photograde but does so into tiny plastic particles which drop to the sea bottom and become a magnet for toxic chemicals.

Heres the pic and the story ..................................

http://science.howstuffworks.com/great-pacific-garbage-patch.htm

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby kelly_m » Nov 29, 2008 9:20 pm

What I miss about the woodstove, Ron...it's easier to burn than get ready for recycling day!! :lol:

CB...so basically, we're not just filling our land with toxic waste that doesn't decompose, we're filling the oceans too..... :cry:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby B_BQ » Nov 29, 2008 11:15 pm

There are fortunately many of us who have been doing our best to recycle for many many years.
Most of my kitchen scraps go into my kitchen compost bin; non compost food goes into the disposer, e.g. bones. All wine bottles are recycled back to the beer store, in bags which we've had for years, and they come home with us every time! I put garbage out every 8 - 10 weeks.
Yes, it is a little bit of extra effort, but well worth it.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Nov 30, 2008 1:18 am

I have to say that we are fortunate here in Edmonton. We have either trash or recyclables. it goes in a green bag or a blue bag. Everything is sorted at the dump. With such an easy system you'd figure everyone would be on board but that isn't the case. We've called the city numerous times about our neighbours garbage. I can't imagine how they generate so much..... :shock: They don't blue bag anything....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby earwig » Nov 30, 2008 4:09 pm

The comments in this thread are much more reasonable than some of the comments I have been following under the CBC article.

Scroll down and if time read some of the comments 13 pages of them!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/11/27/loblaw-sobeys-bags.html#socialcomments
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 30, 2008 5:08 pm

I read them all & I do agree it is window dressing.

The refineries used to burn what now goes into plastic off the flair stacks. In the air or in the ground?
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Eeyore » Dec 01, 2008 1:09 am

I did not read all 13 pages but just a couple of comments....

1) Yes. some of those "green" bags are generally oversized and either the packers should learn how to pack them or stores should provide smaller ones..

2) It's basically been my experience that the plastic bags provided by stores have to be underpacked as they can't hold the weight so in general, reusables are a good alternative.

3)Paper bags are not enviornmentally friendly as they just result in more trees being harvested for paper.

Plastic has to be the worst thing that has ever been invented by mankind! It should either be banned or meticulously controlled, both in the production stage and in the deposit stage!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby joan w » Dec 01, 2008 10:10 am

When I posted this subject I had no idea it would attract so much attention. This is good because it shows that we are thinking of the problem and doing what we can to fix it. I know I have learned a few things. Thanks
Image Image
joan w

Postby patgeorge » Dec 01, 2008 10:34 am

I have enjoyed this thread! When I was a kid in wartime England, plastic bags hadn't been invented. Since we didn't have freezers, or even fridges in my working class neighbourhood, shopping had to be done daily; and every housewife had a shopping basket. In children's books you could always spot "mummy" because she had a basket on her arm

Ireland has introduced a tax of 10 cents on every plastic bag. How effective it's been I don't know. Two of the biggest supermarket chains in the UK have gone over to biodegradable plastic.

On the subject of toilet paper, during the war we had to use newspaper or magazines. The glossies were very hard on the backside. After the war there was only one brand of TP around - Bronco Brand. Glazed on one side, and consistency of medium grade sand paper on the other. When soft tissue first came out the medical establishment raised howls of anguish. It was totally unhygenic they said. Dire forecasts were issued of epidemics of salmonella, listeria, cholera, etc.

Here in Finland where I now live, they're generally pretty conservation minded; but I seem to be the only person in the supermarket queue re-using my plastic bags.
patgeorge

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence