Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

This is what I read and saw before by sciencists

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

This is what I read and saw before by sciencists

Postby butterfly » Nov 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Re: This is what I read and saw before by sciencists

Postby Countryboy » Nov 29, 2008 11:14 am

I spent some time this morning watching/surfing/listening to this doc. Very interesting bf . . thanx. :)

Global warming has always been a minor issue to me. Most of my 'ecological' bent is toward the three R's . . . and primarily focused on saving money. Today's attitude from a 'throw-away' society simply appalls me. *We've already discussed food packaging in another thread.*

Up 'til now I've not really cared what people believe abt climate change. My life-style is as simple as I can make it . . for ecological, physiological, financial and emotional reasons.

But at abt the 40 minute mark of this piece they start to discuss the ramifications worldwide of the acceptance of the theory of global warming. That's when I start to twist in my seat a bit. The African gov'ts that are discouraged from using their vast amounts of coal but encouraged to use solar and wind power. Resulting in one medical clinic equipped with solar panels that could refrigerate it's serum . . . or provide light to it's room . . but not both at the same time.

Development is effectively denied to these people by the latest thinking on climate change . . . whether the thinking is right or wrong. And clearly this doc raises undeniable evidence that it may be wrong.

**Not to mention does Canada dramatically change it's taxation system *ie. 'Green Shift'* based on a questionable global warming dogma? That's another thing that worries me.

K . . enuf of a rant from me. :? lol

Thanx again bf! :)

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby butterfly » Nov 29, 2008 11:46 am

FRank

I think as you

I waste nothing. I love this earth. My home is clean so why dirty the earth

But yes undeveloped countries being surpressed!!!

This document made me really think , "hard"

This all happend to the earth before I;ve alway beleived that

The more who scream Global warming the more money is poured into this field from wasted government funding only to keep a few so called scientists with a pay cheques.
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Eeyore » Nov 30, 2008 1:10 am

IMHO and I am not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination....

Yes, people are contributing to global warming and yes there are things we can do about it.....BUT... the earth has gone through periods of warming and cooling before and we will again. Are there things we should do to stop pollution? Yes, of course. Can we completely stop global warming? Highly unlikely. Can we preserve the polar
bears if we reduce CO2 emmisions? Maybe, but is it necessarily the fact that humans have reduced emmisions or is it evolution? I can't answer that I doubt that anybody really can.
IMH belief, yes, humans can do some things to alleviate GW but it is partially a natural cycle and whether we want to accept it or not our life span on earth is not totally within our control and neither is the climate.
We either adapt or perish.
Basically I'm an athiest, but if there is a god, he gave us a brain for a reason, and we must use it to our best advantage. I don't believe that we can completely control GW because I don't believe it is entirely controllable, but there are things that we can do to prepare for it. Denial doesn't help, and neither does trying to reverse it. Adaption is the key to survival.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Over the Garden Fence