Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Christmas Decorations

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Christmas Decorations

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Just back from Crappy Tire where I'd stopped to get into the Christmas mood, and noticed many BLACK decorations, stars, ornaments, etc and a black feather tree. Also a rather lemony yellow, and a very lime green.

But, they did have lots of traditional colours, lots of Santa's as well. The store has dedicated an awful lot of room to outdoor lighting too...and those blow up vinyl figures.

Perhaps Shikea, you have a lovely expensive shop in town that sells the blown glass ornaments...the really good ones. I love these, myself.

And Joy...that's very good news to hear, from your doctor...I am so glad for you!

Kelly, I too have the old old family nativity set...the lamb went away, and was replaced by a plastic camel, the roof caved in or was stepped on and was mended by a child...the Holy Family is all in good shape considering it was not the most expensive of sets. Bought the girls good good sets years and years ago, and made cloth ones for one set of grandkids.

Just always remember the X in Xmas stands for the crucifix.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby kelly_m » Nov 28, 2008 8:49 pm

Just always remember the X in Xmas stands for the crucifix.

BBBbbbbuuuuutttt.....there is no crucifix in Christmas...that's Easter!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby joan w » Nov 28, 2008 9:06 pm

I find all the hoopla about this time of year nauseating, and always heave a big sigh of relief when it's over.

Scrooge

Truly, I miss the spirit of Christmas which Kelly shows by keeping the old patched up nativity scene. That is more precious than any new fangled whatsit.
Image Image
joan w

Postby kelly_m » Nov 29, 2008 10:08 am

Aw...thanks Joan....

I too find the hoopla nauseating....which why I don't live in the big city!!! :wink:

Although there is still hoopla, there are very few line-ups, friendly service and extended hours for when you realize you needed a bit more for one kid....Now that is why I leave some of the hoopla in...the kids. Because it is exciting...the possibilities the hope. Face it, for a child, the big excitement is gift exchange. (okay mostly what they got). But unless you've got spoiled brats who expect only the biggest and best, they are happy. because the excitement of something new is always there.

For some kids it is the only time of the year they'll get something brand new.

But then there is what you teach your kids about Christmas too. Some kids are taken to church. Unfortunately as a lapsed Catholic my kids don't make it (although there is a United Church in our Hamlet that they have gone to as it is their father's religion). But I still try to use that nativity scene to help them to understand the real meaning of Christmas.

Kfeeling much more Chrsitmassy this year!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 29, 2008 9:45 pm

K. I am shocked! Did they remove the crucifix from your church at Christmas?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Pansy » Nov 30, 2008 12:16 am

Funny thing,I also have a Nativity set left from my Mom,I love it for that reason & also it is beautiful.It is the one Avon used to carry.

We no longer put a tree up,,,,upstairs,just in the rec-room.I now just have my Christmas village.I find with the Church & all the lite

buildings,I don't even miss the tree.All the pieces are done very well & for me puts the Christ back in Christmas.Yes Kelly I'm

another one that can never seem to write Christmas with an X.Just one of my quirks.LOL
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby dorab » Nov 30, 2008 4:19 pm

I read somewhere once that the use of Xmas originated with Christian monks, who used the Greek letter 'chi', which looks like an 'X', as an abbreviation. So Christ isn't as completely out of it as one might think, particularly if you're a bad speller.
Dora
Dora
Calgary - Zone 3A
dorab

Postby kelly_m » Nov 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Lizcordysmum wrote:K. I am shocked! Did they remove the crucifix from your church at Christmas?

Absolutely not...only the crucifix is a symbol of Christ's Death (and subsequent ascension) rather than a symbol of his birth.

Dorab...interesting ....one to look up (not that it'll change my mind about the X, mind you :wink:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby jazz » Nov 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Did I start this thing about xmas. I only mentioned that for me it was easier to type seeing that I have a bit of trouble as some of yu are aware. I didnt want to start anything. I too have a nativity scene given to me by my mom. Jazz
jazz

Postby kelly_m » Nov 30, 2008 7:42 pm

Oh No Jazz...It's just interesting, especially the different reasons for it.

Just a good discussion...Liz is just teasing me.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence