Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: 5¢ charge for plastic grocery bags

Postby kelly_m » Dec 01, 2008 10:39 am

Bronco Brand. Glazed on one side, and consistency of medium grade sand paper on the other

LMAO at the visual!!

I wonder what waste disposal and recycling is like in Finland?

Interesting to have a POV from other countries....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Dec 01, 2008 10:51 am

Have any of you heard of the North Pacific Gyre? Apparently it is becoming a huge garbage dump of plastics.

Plastic & the Ocean
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby joan w » Dec 01, 2008 11:10 am

Anyone who reads that article Lyn should sit up and take notice.

It reminds me of one throwing a stone into a pond and the resulting rings of waves, but on a much bigger scale in the ocean.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 01, 2008 11:22 am

Holy crap!

"There is more than one "garbage patch" the size of Texas that is nearly covered with floating plastic."

Looks to me like plastic manufacturers have been dumping off specification pellets.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Eeyore » Dec 01, 2008 11:40 am

I'd like to say welcome to patgeorge and like Kelly, it's interesting to have a POV from elsewhere.

Ron and Joan, it really drives home the "one world" argument doesn't it?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Dec 01, 2008 12:02 pm

patgeorge wrote: shopping had to be done daily; and every housewife had a shopping basket. In children's books you could always spot "mummy" because she had a basket on her arm,

Welcome patgeorge. Kindred-Country-person here! :)

I remember my mother never left the house without a bag or a basket over her arm. She shopped daily. They didn't have a car, and so she would walk 3 miles into the village every day. She never gave it a second thought, it was just something she did!

If she was buying apples they would be weighed on the scale and just tipped into the bag she was carrying. The cheese was always beautifully wrapped in parchment paper, tomatoes were almost always in a brown paper bag, and the meat was wrapped in greaseproof paper and then brown paper, and tied with string!

My mother died in 1999 and even though she had a fridge and freezer, she still tended to shop almost on a daily basis, complete with her cloth bag, or if she expected to buy something heavy she would take her bag on wheels!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Dec 01, 2008 12:05 pm

My mother and father have both told me that when they were kids they could only have ice-cream in the winter when it could sit outside to stay frozen. Mom grew up on a farm and if it didn't grow on the farm or made in the kitchen they didn't have it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby butterfly » Dec 01, 2008 3:20 pm

So sad

On Dicovery, they said plastic will break into little tiny pieces at some point and the fish eat it

They have found tiny tiny pieces in fish , then we eat it. The peices are so tiny that most of it vaan't be seen with rthe naked eye but still kills

Apparently a child got sick an died and they found tiny tiny pieces of plastic in the intestinal track and they know the child didn't eat it by the size pieces

The child got it from fish just like we do. we are eating this plastic even tho we can't see it

How scarey is this
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby OGrubber » Dec 02, 2008 10:20 am

Eeyore wrote:Have any of you heard of the North Pacific Gyre?

It is really sad to think - no, to know! - we are the most toxic species on the face of this earth.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Blossom » Dec 02, 2008 11:05 am

We use the re-cyclable store bags too. And Lynn you are right. They need to train the check-out girls how to pack them. Some don't like to take the extra bit of time it takes. Have also been re-cycling everything here for many years. Very seldom put out a bag of garbage. In our area there is a 2 bag limit. Anything after that you have to buy tags. It doesn't seem to bother some people.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence