Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Green heron

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Green heron

Postby Eeyore » Dec 01, 2008 12:53 am

I have to agree with K, the green heron is a good shot but the pelican is amazing! I love that shot, it is so out of the ordinary and the feather detail is extrodinary. The look on his face is priceless too.... How many people would ever consider sending that particular photo in for a magazine spread, and yet to me, it is a great shot, simply because it doesn't capture that "perfect" moment! It's so ordinary and that is what makes it special!
Kat, if you ever want to give up being a biologist, you'd make a great living as a photographer!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluebird » Dec 01, 2008 1:32 pm

And a perfect round up of all the rest of the A-1 bird species...you dun' good Kat and thanks for sharing with those of us who these days only dream of getting down to Florida again.

The money shot is the Limpkin; hands down. Do you know how special that photo is??? Well Kat, that is awesome!! Birders can go their whole lives looking for that bird and never see one. They are very secretive and range from fairly common within their specific range to very rare. [edit: Meant to add that they generally are well hidden in the reeds in the wetland marshy pond areas]

I WAS going to post a photo of a nuthatch on a lichen branch....doh! :lol: A Limpkin and in flight....Holy palm nuts!.....you go girlfriend!!

Kat, really great photos and thanks again for sharing them and hope you are feeling better.
Last edited by bluebird on Dec 01, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebird

Postby butterfly » Dec 01, 2008 2:40 pm

My gosh those snowing egrets are gorgeous

These are really nice bird pic.

Storks, aren't they pretty

I wonder why the heron is called green

it doen't look green , infact the blue one looks grey

I just remembered I have seen a blue one before at a friends pond a long time ago

We dont have green ones in thsi part of the world that I know off

Great pi ctures here

Oh yes the pelican. Supper shot. I have seen them in Florida
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby bluebird » Dec 01, 2008 3:06 pm

butterfly wrote:I wonder why the heron is called green

So named for the greenish black crown feathers in the adult plumage.
bluebird

Postby butterfly » Dec 01, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks BB

I'll have another look at the picture

Green being my fav color
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Sheikea » Dec 02, 2008 10:33 am

What a beautiful bird.love his green mask. :D
Sheikea

Postby Katherine » Dec 02, 2008 11:05 am

:oops: Thanks Shiekia and BF... and ofcourse a special thanks to our Bluebird. I do know how hard it is to photograph a Limpkin. Heck, Bruce and I actuall saw three red-cockaded woodpeckers and he managed to get a shot or two of them. I guess the white morph shot is an indication of why my photographs are as nice as they are....note the people in the background on that one. The thing about San Diego and FL is the birds are used to a tonne of people and the skill involved in making a good capture is much reduced. I also had bruce, telling me what to do at every step of the way, lol. And we went to a place recommended to him on birdphotographers, a guy who teaches in flight, so I just may go back and take his course.

Anyways , thanks for your enthusiasm, I was hoping you would see them and comment. You should see BRUCES shots. Wow.

I am feeling a lot better but had to work through my illness again, which I really hate. Drop dead deadlines. One of these days i am gonna....retire!

kat
Katherine

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence