Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Anyone have wireless internet from home

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Anyone have wireless internet from home

Postby earwig » Dec 01, 2008 12:14 pm

I learned today that I can get wireless internet. Everytime I checked with Alliant Sympatico they told me no but I have discovered a company that does have it at a tower near me.

Just wondering how reliable it is as I know satellite can be iffy at times, depending on the weather.

Much cheaper installation (100.00) than satellite and service is 50.00 a month. Considering my dial up with accelerator is 32.00 monthly I consider it money well spent.

The speed is not as fast as cable which I don’t think will ever be here but a heck of a lot faster than what I have now.

The plus besides the speed is that I wouldn’t be tieing up my phone line when I am on the internet, the down side is my email addy of 15 years would have to change.

So I would like to hear any postive and negative things about it.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Re: Anyone have wireless internet from home

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 01, 2008 1:08 pm

We got WiMAX high-speed wireless a few months ago from bell @ the same time our son got Hi-speed from Bell on the telephone line. We do not have the phone line option which is cheaper & FASTER.

The reception is indicated by five lights on the outside modem, two lights on, not enough signal, three lights a bit faster than dial-up, four lights pretty good speed & five is a lot faster than dial-up. We typically get three to four lights on & on the very rare occasion five. Weather seems to be the greatest influencing factor & strangely enough the poorest reception is on lovely clear days. It cost $55/mo, $5 more than we were told as they never mentioned a $5 monthly rental for the modem. The cost is not much more than we were paying as we had a second phone line for the computer that was a remnant of our business + the ISP cost that totaled just under $50 that we were able to now cancel.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Puff10 » Dec 01, 2008 1:47 pm

Hello Betty,

A few years back I looked at getting wireless high speed but when came time to install it I couldn't do it so I've opted for regular wired high speed through Aliant. My package (monthly) gives me unlimited long distance throughout Canada and USA anytime of the day on top of the highspeed internet.
Puff10

Postby butterfly » Dec 01, 2008 2:17 pm

I am sure that i what I have

I don't understand it here is how mine works

well actually I haven't a clue how all this works but it works and that' all I care about

Puter stuff I am not litterate to understand what it is called or how it works. Skwij will know what I am trying to discribe.

I've had high speed with Eastlink for years bu I also have a gadget I plug into th side of my laptop anywhere I wish as long as there is a wirless hookup some where I can use it

I know I am not using the proper terminology

But when we have staff meetings the boss just asks the hotel to turn something on and we who have this gadget can do wireless. WE all paid the hotel a small fee to use for the day

I can stop on the street by most liberaries and email any one or look up an account and get right into head office without being hooked up I don't need a modem when away from home

I even did email while sitting on the beach last summer

I understand I have to be near something to do this but I foerget what it it called

Does any one understand what I am talking about ?

I emailed BW twice one time from a clients home one day just after I got it to and I emailed her again sitting in my car to do a test to see how this worked and really I am not sure how it worked. Dah!! when it come to puters
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby earwig » Dec 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Thanks Ron, you seem fairly satisfied with it and like you, I have no high speed phone line internet available in my area.

I was under the impression the $100.00 installation was for the antenna and the modem ?, I didn't think she called it that but some box that I needed. No rental was mentioned but I will ask when the service guy calls.

Thanks Remi, since you are closer to "the corrider" than I am, you have the high speed phone line. I am much further from civilization. There was a tower went up by Chaswood that apparently I can get the signal from as I am on a hill.

Butterfly, there are many hot spots for wireless through out the province so yes, lap tops are great for those areas. I was wondering more about reception for wireless internet in my home since there is no cable or high speed phone lines near my home.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby butterfly » Dec 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Betty

We have our staff meetings at the Garden Inn at the airport

Just wondering if there was any way of feeding off them, lol,lol

Is that close to you??

it must be close to Gingseng

I know what you are looking for and needing

I guess it would help if you had cable
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Blossom » Dec 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi Betty. Went with "Neighborhood Wireless" this past September. Like you there is no highspeed cable here. The best part is not tying up the phone line. I am really enjoying the fact I am always on-line. Paid $99.00 installation fee. $49.95 mo. plus $10.00 rental for modem and a 2 year contract. After the 2 years I won't pay a rental fee for the modem. I hope I never have to go back to dial-up. The towers are about 6 miles down the road. It took less than an hour to install a small dish similar to our Bell Express-vu. If I was you I would go for it!
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby earwig » Dec 02, 2008 6:38 am

The service guy called me last night, no rental, he didn't mention a contract but he thinks my installation will cost an additional 50.00 as I have no second story, and I may need addional height.

In fact it all depends if the hill across from me blocks the tower if I can even get it. I can see the light on the tower, from the road way but not from my house which is only about 100 feet from the road.

Anyway my day suddenly got rearranged as he can make it today. I was planning on shopping between my morning and evening shifts at work today, but now I must beat it home and wait to see if it is possible to get hooked up this afternnoon.

Blossom, it seems you like it too and yes if I can get it, I am going for it.
Betty
earwig

Postby OGrubber » Dec 02, 2008 9:51 am

Betty,
Whatever you get, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I can live with dial-up, but I'm fed up with Bell and their hoop jumping for service. However, I am having a difficult time finding anything around here that isn't a complete bundle package; tv/phone/internet, which [all so far] cost way over what our budget can handle.
We are outside of the cable service area which I would prefer, so wireless seems our only option.

I would be careful of signing a contract. In our experience, if you have issues and are not satisfied, breaking the contract is equivalent to breaking the bank.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Smitty » Dec 02, 2008 10:30 am

just poppin in..don't have wireless service although I do have a wireless router hooked up to the laptop.
doesn't Rogers' have a wireless service?? saw a commercial I'm sure where they just plugged what appeared to be a thumbdrive into a USB port and they had internet connection anywhere, anytime they wanted.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence