Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Crested Caracara

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Crested Caracara

Postby butterfly » Dec 02, 2008 11:56 am

Katherine wrote:thanks AGAIN. BF in your previous note you asked about Cormorants. I think you are thinking of Ospreys, they will nest on poles and pilons.

I am not a bird photographer, not by any stretch. I am just a biologist. But I did enjoy the in flight shooting and will want to try that again.

The Caracara was very special to me.... because he looks just like my grade school principal, Mr. Madriga. Same big nose, regal posture and jet black toupe!

very shy bird though.

and agan....thanks BF nad BB

Take a look Kat/ They do next on pile ons and have for as many years I can remember. I go over Pictou causeway at least once a week.

Offsprey do nest on power poles along the highway from New Glasgow approaching the causeway

Tourists stop by the 100's for pictures each year

The nesting habits really intrique many

https://www.usefilm.com/Image.asp?ID=1315922

I will take pic in the Spring.
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Katherine » Dec 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Most nests of the Double-crested Cormorant are on rock, trees and drift logs, but people SEE the ones on pilings and poles and so they tend to think those are primary nest sites. They are not. DCCO's were blue-listed in BC for a while but have since been de-listed.
Katherine

Postby butterfly » Dec 02, 2008 2:08 pm

That is why they are such abig tourist thing here Kat

There are 100's of huge rock all along to build the causeway I think maybe 30 years ago

The cormanents never nested on any of the rocks here and no one knows why they rather the pile ons.

There has been huge write ups and articles about them plus paintings over the years. Photographers have come from afar to see them and take pic Lots of Ammericans come just to see them

There are about 150-200 pilons altogether they nest on and not one rock. Not in this area

There is a nick name for the area because of these bird nestings dubbed by a local artist but I forget what it is

I am sure there is plenty on the web about them
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence