Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

So the fool - -

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: So the fool - -

Postby Eeyore » Dec 04, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks Kat, I have to admit I've been so fed up with politics that I canceled my papers and really haven't read or seen much except the little snippets I hear on TV or the radio. I do agree with you about coalition governments an in fact the Liberal/NDP/Bloc coalition might be the most democratic government we've had in a long time. I know Stephen Harper's cons certainly aren't! But then why would anyone expect them to be? He did learn at Ralph Klein's knee!
Anywhoo, I'll have to take your word for Dion's communication skills in French because I don't understand French and maybe that's his biggest problem.... the vast majority of the electorate doesn't understand what he is trying to say.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby earwig » Dec 04, 2008 4:31 pm

When I saw the title "So the fool", I thought Ron was going to give a spiel on Steven Harper, so you now know what I think about Mr. Harper.

I am not political savvy enough to know which outcome is good or bad.

I do think that it has got Canadians thinking and talking about politics and that is a good thing. I think that more Canadians will vote in the next election and that is a good thing.

And I think a very arrogant leader may have learned that if wants to continue leading, he must listen to what others are saying.

Shake ups are good, change are good, if the right people channel them the right way.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 04, 2008 4:49 pm

I must admit I am somewhat disappointed in Harper but I will still take the Conservatives over the lying, cheating, tax the hell out of you Liberals.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Laura » Dec 04, 2008 4:56 pm

The leaders of all parties should go . . . they all look like a bunch of babies. . one mad because he doesn't get his way,one mad because he's not the boss,one hanging on to the others coattails and one standing in the corner mad because he doesn't even want to be in the nursery.

Stephen should get out and let someone else who is at least likable step up.

Dion should go home and stay there where I'm sure even his own party wishes he would.

Layton needs to move aside for anyone else PLEASE..

And Duceppe should move right out of the country since he does not even want to be a canadian.
Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 04, 2008 4:57 pm

hear, hear, Kat...I favour a working Coalition government such as some countries in Europe have, as opposed to our Winner/Loser style of time-wasting government here...I'd rather see the elected Members of Parliament WORK every darn day than have the members flounce around in pretended outrage for the tv cameras and quick sound bites.

I think that EACH party has something to say, something worth listening to/thinking about...and whether we like their leaders or not - they do represent enough of our fellow Canadians to be heard by us all.

Right now, I am feeling that Stephen Harper didn't like the way his fellows were playing, so he has taken his ball and gone home, in a pout. I hope everyone remembers that while we ordinary Canadians are facing financial losses and job losses, the irresponsible person given a MINORITY government in the last election has just walked off the job for six weeks plus, in essence, abandoning us all.

Maybe with each election, we should also appoint a Nanny, to oversee behaviour?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby MareE » Dec 04, 2008 6:17 pm

Great thread, y'all! Why is a Beatle tune about a fool on a Hill spiraling 'round my brain cell? (And no I do NOT mean Ron. laffs)

I don't know much about nannying, Tante—just Kkidsitting. Y'now, NICE young'uns. But out of patriotic duty I'd offer a hand in any burping needed attending and wear scrubs for the Three/Four Stooges. hahaha

Yr Niece the chronic fencesitter ;o} less politically savvy than Betty, I suspect

~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby bluebird » Dec 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Yes, great thread it is with some very insightful and intelligent commentary!

Marsi, I've got the tune to Fool on the Hill running in my head too, but it's set to some imagery of The Three Stooges meet Whiley Coyote and they're all eating perogies on the GG's front steps!

What a world...what a world....sigh.
:roll:
bluebird

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Dec 04, 2008 11:40 pm

Might as well throw in my two cents. We have had some bummers in my lifetime for PM's & they fit right in there with Liberals as well as Conservatives. Here they are:
1. Mckenzie King: Liberal. Conversed on a regular basis with his dead mother. Crazy as they come.
2. John Diefenbaker: Conservative. Cancelled the Avro Arrow which at the time was the most advanced fighter plane in the world. Bought the Bomark Missle from the States to defend Canada. You know....those stupid things sitting on a cement pedestal with pointy end facing up. The aero engineers all moved to the States & low & behold the F14 was born.
Also known for his stupid fight with Lester Pearson over the new Canadian Maple Leaf flag when he was leader of the opposition.
3. P.Trudeau: American politicians hated him ....mainly because he was smarter than most of them. Never made any promises leading up to elections....instead surprised everyone with stupid programs like the National Energy Program which was nothing more than a transfer of wealth from Alberta to Ontario.
4. Brian Mulroney: Conservative. When the investigations into him are finally finished it is likely he will prove to be the dirtiest of them all.
He makes all of them look like pikers. Never in his life ran a successful enterprise of any sort yet has ended up with 14 paid directorships one of which is Barrett Gold. He didn't land those soft touches from sitting around sucking his thumb.
5. Jean Cretien(?): Liberal. Looked with envy on Brian Mulroney & immediately began trying to outdo him.
6. Stephan Harper: REFORM there is nothing Conservative about him. He lies with the best of them. When Leader of the opposition he proposed a deal with the Bloc which he now denies in the face of proof & is making a stink because the Liberals & NDP are ganging up on him. Harper is extremely dangerous because he is convinced that he is smarter than he actually is. A united Canada....? What a joke. He was right in there working with the Western Alliance to bring about seperation involving BC, Alberta, & Sask.

No wonder Canadians are disillusioned with politics. There isn't a potential PM in the whole damn crew.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Katherine » Dec 05, 2008 12:05 am

MacKenzie King? And Ron thinks I am old. He last held office in 1948. But Lee, good review of the talents of our fearless leaders. Question. Do you think Canadians know they are being played?

kat
Katherine

Postby MareE » Dec 05, 2008 12:28 am

bluebird wrote:

Marsi, I've got the tune to Fool on the Hill running in my head too, but it's set to some imagery of The Three Stooges meet Whiley Coyote and they're all eating perogies on the GG's front steps!

:roll:

GUFFAW! PEROGIES? Stuffed with what? Velly cartoony. Fact is Cars, throughout Harper's CTV feed, two minutes shorter than expected by the network sponsoring 30 minutes of tomfoolery, didn't hear a mention of GREEN=ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS.

And no, I don't want links to any of them if they exist. LOL

When Dion didn't show by 7:30pm last nite, switched to Global and saw his "address" and thought he'd used the time of no-show to make his "whatever" firmer, brimming with crocodile tears, and more superficially eloquent than Harper's.

I'll now sit at back of class and shoot spitballs thru hollow Bic® pens. Low velocity, of course.

Forever fencesitting Mars;o}
[/size]
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence