Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

How times change

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

How times change

Postby joan w » Dec 05, 2008 3:37 pm

On Tuesday I went to Trilliam Health Centre which is the old Queensway Hospital. Renovations have made this a first class health care centre.

I was in the day surgery section to have a cataract removed and a lens replacement. This is a large, long room/wing with beds arranged in the centre. The long outside wall is windows which makes it very light and airy. There are side rooms where an assigned nurse looks over the pre-op package which was filled in at home, along with a family doctor's report. I was given a gown for the top half and kept my own clothes on the bottom half along with my shoes! Then out to the big room to await surgery.

Imagine my surprise when my surgeon came and rolled me into the operating room. He is a gentle speaking man with a warm manner. The procedure was over quickly and I was discharged about ½ hour later. When I came home on Wednesday, after staying with Pam and family, I turned on the kitchen light and the white stove and fridge jumped out at me. The colours on the internet are so vivid - had no idea what I was missing. And now I can read the TV index and turn it on just to see it. :wink:

When I compare this procedure to that of my grandmother's some 60 years ago I have to say . .

Yup, the times they are changing.
Image Image
joan w

Re: How times change

Postby B_BQ » Dec 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Delighted to hear that everything went well Joan. Quite the miracle isn't it?

There's a big kerfuffle going on in St. John's, NF, right now where nurses are 'working to rule'. They're refusing to do anything which is not 'nursing'.

It's nice to hear that your surgeon didn't think it was beneath him to come and get you himself!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Katherine » Dec 05, 2008 4:03 pm

I am glad things went well for you too, and congrats on your fresh new eyesight.

Its nice to hear some positive words about out health care system. I actually think it works well, with a few places for improvement, and we certainly are lucky to have it, in comparison to the US.

Kat
Katherine

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Tis great Joan, I bet you will now have renewed interest in your photography.

Kat
we certainly are lucky to have it, in comparison to the US.

You got that correct. In a little over a year Jeanne has had surgery to repair two macular holes, two cataracts & one laser on her eyes. We paid only for parking @ the hospital & a pair of glasses.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Dec 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Yes, I have many surgeries, the biggest being the hip replacement in 2007, and I paid exactly nothing except transportation there and back. I am told between 40 and 70 thousand in the US for the underinsured.

When I was 17 and 18 I spent almost a year in Kamloops Royal Inland, Vancouver General then GF Strong Rehabilitation all told. My mother paid a dollar a day for the Kamloops stay and I paid the same for the time in VGH then GFStrong. (I was considered responsible for my own expenses when I turned 18, my ma was a scot, lol!)

Its one of the best things the CCF - NDP did, call them what you will but it was Tommy Douglas's brainchild, and it was absolutely brilliant. We couldnt build it now for love or money.
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Dec 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Its one of the best things the CCF - NDP did, call them what you will but it was Tommy Douglas's brainchild, and it was absolutely brilliant. We couldnt build it now for love or money.

And yet we have fools in this country trying to pull it apart.... :roll:

Joan, I'm so happy to hear that it went well!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby joan w » Dec 05, 2008 7:19 pm

It sure is nice knowing that we can go to a hospital and not have financial worries. When Pam was born we had to pay the shot, but not so for Wayne as he was born in 1959.
I understand there's a $100.00 fee for the new procedure the sugeon used to measure my eyes but I haven't seen a bill yet. But I'll pay it gladly.
My eyes are getting watery as it's evening and they've probably had enough, so I'll sign off for now.

Thank you for your good wishes.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Both my DH and I had cataracts replaced this past summer and fall. I noticed the colours most vividly. Isn't it great? Just loving it all....seeing with new eyes, for sure.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Katherine » Dec 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Yes, Lyn, you can bet that one of the things we can look forward to if Steven Harper gets his way is a splitting up of the medicare system in Canada. I am willing to bet. Perhaps this is one of the things a Coalition government will protect?

We all take it for granted, and grumble about it, but I hope people take this into consideration when they go to the polls, or what ever we end up doing, in January.
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Dec 05, 2008 10:00 pm

The unfortunate thing about Healthcare is that it is generally provincially run and transfer payments are made from Ottawa. Unfortunately with Stevie being an Alberta boy I don't trust him at all where Healthcare is concerned. The only reason Alberta still has universal healthcare is not because of it's government, it's because of it's people and it's nurses. Both believe in public health care and have fought every attempt at privatization. But now with Ron Liepert at the head of the Health portfolio things are happening behind closed doors that do not bode well.
That's what happens when there is no opposition, so, I for one can't get too upset about this federal coalition BS. At least it's an expression of democracy and a form of protest. Something we seem to be lacking on a provincial level...
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence