Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

IMPORTANT FROM SNOPES

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

IMPORTANT FROM SNOPES

Postby Lindamct » Dec 05, 2008 9:31 am

Received this info last evening from a friend, who is pretty computer savvy. :) Thought I should paste it here so you all can send this to your family and friends.

Season's Greetings To All! :D

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp <http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp>
Lindamct

Re: IMPORTANT FROM SNOPES

Postby Eeyore » Dec 05, 2008 6:57 pm

A timely warning Linda. Thanks!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby skwij » Dec 06, 2008 1:28 am

Ah yes, the Season Card....
For one thing, legitimate sites would say WHO the sender is, not just "family member".

Geez Louise, and thanking goodness for sensible clicking habits from the Windows days, and THANKFUL for now using Macs. No viruses. No need for AntiVirus software.

YAY!

Seriously though, never click on something from "a family member" or "a friend" or "a colleague". If you must, RIGHT CLICK on the message in INBOX, and SCAN WITH your AV of choice (preferably AVG free, or Avast! ) before opening the mail, and certainly before downloading attachments.

Just some common sense.
skwij

Postby joan w » Dec 06, 2008 9:07 am

Thanks Lindamct for the warning. I've received these types of emails before but not for a while. I'll be on the lookout for new ones.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Eeyore » Dec 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Yes Skwij, common sense but it never hurts to remind people of what to watch out for. Thanks for posting the tips for properly opening links. A good reminder for all.

Now, I am the winner of a $950,000 US ATM card.... All I have to do is provide all my personal information! :P
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Over the Garden Fence