Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

So the fool - -

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: So the fool - -

Postby Eeyore » Dec 05, 2008 1:07 am

Katherine wrote: Question. Do you think Canadians know they are being played?

Yes, I think they do know it, but I think our fearless leaders are stupid enough to think that they can fool all of the people all of the times....

Lee, you been reading "Bastards and Boneheads" By Will Ferguson?
Great summary!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Dec 05, 2008 1:40 pm

Can I suggest that the public demand that a new Parliment seperate the poor quality of politicians from the well meaning by:

1. A no confidence motion to automatically trigger suspension of pay until resolved either by failure of the motion or until after an election & a new sitting of Parliment.
2. A overhauled pension system for MP's. Namely, no better than that of the voting public & administered out of government. Namely, MP's to contribute 3%, the government to contribute 3% & no defined benifits...ie: a group mutual fund. Retirement at age 65 just like everyone else & if they retire early 5% deducted per year early....just like every one else. Enough of these jerks collecting at age 50 for the balance of their life.
For example Jaffer who lost the only Conservative seat in Alberta will collect over a Million bucks for the average expected life span starting at age 50. This guy contributed NOTHING to the political scene.
These suggestions are based on the fact that rich remuneration does not attrack top quality politicians but instead people who would in fact have a difficult time earning a decent salary otherwise. The last week has demonstrated this.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby butterfly » Dec 05, 2008 9:13 pm

The lower the income and benifits offered the lower the education one needs for the job, the low lives they become are who are attracted to the job

It is bad enough now

But collecting a big retirement income at 50 for life that must stop. I can't do that .

I think that is the big attraction most go into politics

They only have to serve one term I understand to get it
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Dec 05, 2008 11:15 pm

What you say sounds nice in theory Butterfly but the remuneration & perks for MP's has been very good for considerable time so how do you explain the current crop who have been demonstrating what a bunch of jerks they really are for the past week ????
I could be mistaken but when Parliment sits in January the opposition will still oust the Conservatives with a non confidence motion. The opposition have had enough of Harper & are determined to get rid of him. Harper tried to cut the opposition off at the knees & he could easily end up losing his job. In fact the Conservatives should hold a leadership convention in the interm & get rid of that Reformer. The Liberals & NDP should do the same. Maybe then the Country could avoid another election once rid of three leaders who hate each other.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby butterfly » Dec 06, 2008 12:06 am

Jerks??

They all have been acting more than a bunch of jerks

Worse than 5 year olds

They all have been fighting back as far as I can remember , 2- 3 years

I am so sick of my tax $$$ going to them . Every time I see them on Tv , they are fighting about something and this week is disgusting.

I am not a radical person but darn If I could, and health allowed me I'd be pounding on parliament doors and making a huge scene and not get rid of me that easy until they wised up and started earning their pay cheque just like I have to.

Mayeb it is time we stood up for ourselves and not let them away with it

Oh I am so mad at the whole darn bunch

Do we need the Nanny to step in and hand them discipline
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby Eeyore » Dec 06, 2008 12:19 am

LeeInEdmonton wrote:I could be mistaken but when Parliment sits in January the opposition will still oust the Conservatives with a non confidence motion. The opposition have had enough of Harper & are determined to get rid of him. Harper tried to cut the opposition off at the knees & he could easily end up losing his job. In fact the Conservatives should hold a leadership convention in the interm & get rid of that Reformer. The Liberals & NDP should do the same. Maybe then the Country could avoid another election once rid of three leaders who hate each other.

Lee

I think you are right Lee, too bad such a thing wouldn't happen in good old AB....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 06, 2008 12:45 am

Have lost my response once thanks to this useless pc of sh ...

Lee, agree entirely, except politicians should get pensions based on time of actual service...and no more than that. One year is not worth 30 yrs highly paid pension.

Also, Canada should be represented by a person chosen by each area's electorate (not from party affiliation) from each province and territory...our land mass is too huge to have one stupid tv star represent an old fashioned thing like a "party."

Having a million dollars shouldn't be a necessary prerequisite in your province, to run. Your mates will tell you to sit down and shut up if you are stupid.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Countryboy » Dec 06, 2008 10:04 am

"I could be mistaken but when Parliment sits in January the opposition will still try tooust the Conservatives with a non confidence motion. I agree.The opposition have had enough of Harper & are determined to get rid of him. I agree again. :) But . .Harper tried to cut the opposition off at the knees & he could easily end up losing his job." Hmmmmmm :?

This is one thing that's been spun out of proportion. The 'funding of political parties' is not something that's been written in stone since Confederation. It's a change made in 2005 by the Cretien Liberals when they were in power . . . to fund political campaigns with taxpayers dollars and not thru donations.

I disagreed with it then and disagree with it now. I'm not interested in supporting a fringe party like the Greens with my money. If they need funds they can raise it thru donations from their supporters.

Statutes/Laws/Bills are made by certain governments and can be changed by successive governments. No? :wink: A Liberal majority changed the original practise. Three years later another government can change it back . . preferrably without being accused of cutting someone off at the knees. Ain't that the democratic way? :) lol

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby butterfly » Dec 06, 2008 5:04 pm

A leadership conventio for all 3 parties to pick new leaders... not a bad idea

But leave E green out of it, remember her office is 1 2 min from me and her home about the same distance.

I have prety good ideas what goes on with her party so the rumors go.

Let donations go to them but not my tAX $$$

I certainly don't know one person with any of the parties who could ever replace what is there now that would have any more brains and leadership abilities so that is not saying much not worthy of my tax money anyway
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby OGrubber » Dec 06, 2008 6:23 pm

butterfly wrote:But leave E green out of it, remember her office is 1 2 min from me and her home about the same distance.

I have prety good ideas what goes on with her party so the rumors go.

Let donations go to them but not my tAX $$$

Since I voted Green, - and believe you me, I worked hard for my tax bucks - maybe I should be privy to what goes on with her party - or what "so the rumours go".
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence