Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Petition regarding the newly-formed Coalition‏

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Petition regarding the newly-formed Coalition‏

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 05, 2008 8:01 pm

Lyn
Frank, I agree with you, how much is a hand out and how much is a hand up?

As much as Mike Harris has been vilified I think he did the right thing in forcing able bodied welfare recipients to work for their keep. Generations of families never worked as welfare was too easy. Welfare became an institution in Ontario under Bobby Rae & folks quite working to go on welfare to make more money. Now this turkey wants to head the federal Liberal party.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Dec 05, 2008 8:22 pm

Blue willow, I agree that its LIKE greed but its not for money. Rather I think it is a type A power-hungry kind of person that runs for politics. Most politicians make twice as much money outside of politics than they do as MP's or leaders.

Also, I know you probably dont believe me, but I happen to know my MP, and the amount of dismal long distance traveling back and forth out of this rinky dink scary airport in the dead of winter the guy has to do is astonishing. I am not trying to defend them, but until you really know what they end up doing, and sometimes its just no fun.
Katherine

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Kat
I am not trying to defend them, but until you really know what they end up doing, and sometimes its just no fun.

Sorta like everybody else eh. Who, BTW do not get paid as well or get golden pensions.

I need to get some rose colored glasses that make politicians look altruistic but in the meantime I see them as self-serving me first types.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby butterfly » Dec 05, 2008 9:17 pm

I know my MP very well too. He lives juts down the road from me. I know him so well better than most as I remember some of his brothers being born and his mom taught me in school and taught my children

I don't hear of him hoping planes and he is Jackie's little gofer
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Eeyore » Dec 05, 2008 9:52 pm

All I can say is I certainly wouldn't want a politicians life. Yes, I agree their pensions are outrageous and in some cases so are their salaries (thinking Provincial here). Most don't get into it for the money although I'm sure the pensions are lucrative. And yes, some are self serving. You certainly have to have a good deal of ego and self esteeem to go into politics, otherwise you'd never survive.

Ron - Income assistance may be easy to get in Ontario but it certainly isn't here. Yes, there are people who have been on it for generations and lord knows I can't figure out how! The hoops and barrels one has to go through to get any kind of assistance in the richest of all provinces is absolutely ridiculous! Until a few short months ago I never would have believed that but with what I've been up against in the past short while, I'm not surprised there are so many homeless people on the streets of Edmonton and Calgary. The whole process is absolutely appalliung!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence