Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Q 4 Ron....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Q 4 Ron....

Postby bluebird » Dec 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi Ron,

I received a touching note via my website from a very nice lady who has suffered some tragedy in her life in the past year and has found comfort in photographing birds. (She came across my site while googling for bird photos.) However she's asked me for advice on a better camera set up (but not at the level at the gear I'm using) and I'd like to help her out with some suggestions. She's just using a point and shoot right now with a built in zoom and wants to improve on that while still staying within a reasonable budget. I think what you are using would likely be just what she needs.

I know that you've been doing some nice stuff with your new gear and are pleased with it. Can you let me know what your set up is (in detail) for photographing closer photos of birds so I can pass that info on to her?

Thanks so much...
bluebird

Re: Q 4 Ron....

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 06, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi Carol. I have the same camera as Joan & Lyn, a Canon S5 IS. At ISOs over 400 you get a lot of noise but other than that it is a sweet camera for the price I paid, $340.00 on a price match @ Staples. I am providing a link to a review so you can "speak" with some knowledge of the camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Eeyore » Dec 06, 2008 5:02 pm

Additional lenses are also available. I am getting a 1.5X teleconvertor for Christmas! :D
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluebird » Dec 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks Ron and Lyn!

Good, now I can say I know of several people that have this camera and are pleased with it. I'll also give her the link to the review. :)
bluebird

Return to Over the Garden Fence