Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Familiar birdie faces in a new setting

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Familiar birdie faces in a new setting

Postby Eeyore » Dec 06, 2008 4:58 pm

Lovely little birds Carol! We've got a red breasted nuthatch that comes around and some Downy woodpeckers. We also have the Jays. I love those guys! They only eat peanuts from our feeders though. We also have a pigeon or 2 :x Those I could do without!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluebird » Dec 06, 2008 7:15 pm

Thanks Jazz, Ron, Joan and Lyn and also for sharing your birdie stories. :)
bluebird

Postby earwig » Dec 06, 2008 7:31 pm

Very nice BB, it doesn't take them long to find a feeder and then they tell two friends who tell two friends...

I can't seem to keep the nuthatches coming to my feeder every day for some unknow reason, but I am quite pleased that I do have a white throated sparrow this year among all my regulars.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Blossom » Dec 06, 2008 7:53 pm

Love all your photos. For some reason, this year we hardly have any birds. I put suet out for the wood peckers and filled all the feeders. In years past we would have gone through bags of feed. I wonder where the heck they are. The weather is turning quite nasty this evening, so maybe they will all return to-morrow. I really miss the cardinals though.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby B_BQ » Dec 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Happy to hear that a few birds have found the new restaurant in town!

I just love all those birds you have pictured. I find the shape of them very pleasing to the eye.

We definitely have at least two species of Junco. There are some which are so black and white, some which are a slate grey and white, and some which have barely any white at all. I realize that some of them may be juvies, but I seem to recall reading recently that there are several species of Junco, and that they interbreed.

We recently put out the suet as the temps are dipping below zero now on a regular basis. It took a couple of days, but the woodies are back! The chickadee-dee-dees are now having to take a back seat!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Dec 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Betty, do you have one of those cylindrical peanut feeders with the holes all around ? The nuthatches seem to like them.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby OGrubber » Dec 07, 2008 9:36 am

Glad I had a chance to see these before you whisked them away, Carol! laf!
Gorgeous captures! Those junkies and dee-dees really ping my string!

(Don't worry - if there are any cardinals in the neighbourhood, they'll find you!)
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Grannygardener » Dec 07, 2008 10:34 am

One wants to pick them up and cuddle them.I'm thinking they must be so cold especially with a morning like ours at -23c brrr. So happy to see your pictures again. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Love your telephoto shots!

Here, the bluejays disappear around 3PM, and then the chickadees feed to their hearts' content until sunset. I fill all my feeders in the morn, then again at 3PM for the chickadees, when all other birds seem to have retired for the day.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby bluebird » Dec 07, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks Betty. I think you've got something there...this morning there were three Tree Sparrows, TWO juncos and I think a few more chickadees, but they move around so fast it's hard to count them! There are also five black squirrels out there, but they aren't getting much as all my feeders are squirrel proofed. That doesn't stop them from trying before heading back to the woods to their acorn stash-lol.
White-throated Sparrow would be a treat to have around; such a lovely song they have.

Thanks Blossom...we can give each other encouragement and support until the birds find us! I'm sure they'll find you again, especially when other sources of natural foods become scarce.

Yes BBQ we do have variable races of the Dark-eyed Junco and they do interbreed. Most of our eastern species is of the "Slate-colored" type, but even the one in the photo is showing a trace of mearnsi "Pink-sided" considered part of the Oregon group. Then of course there are also differences between the adult males, females and the juvies to add to the mix!

Lyn..lol...I'm still trying to find my peanut feeder and holding off just buying a new one!

Inge...glad I could ping your string....laf!

Edie, they sure do puff up in this weather! I think the next issue of Birds & Blooms are doing an article about birds puffing up to keep warm.

Trailblaze, sounds like you have very orderly feeders...well done!

Thanks everyone!
bluebird

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence