Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Mountain Ash

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Mountain Ash

Postby Grannygardener » Dec 07, 2008 10:44 am

My Mountain Ash trees were still full of berries when winter set in this year.I found it strange because they're usually stripped naked before the snow flies. Yesterday huge flocks of cedar waxwings and starlings just about cleaned them off. My neighbours are cleaned up but I have one that is fairly full. Still lots of food for the winter birds.But they haven't found my feeders yet. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Re: Mountain Ash

Postby ourderek » Dec 07, 2008 11:48 am

I have noticed some strange things happening with the birds this fall. We have a crow moved in with us,it looks in good condition apart from its left wing hangs down a little, no trouble flying it can achieve that very well in short hops about the yard. I have an idea he just cannot handle a long flight. we have named it Moe, and he is becoming quite friendly.
Ourderek.
"Never before in the field of human conflict....
...have lawyers been so darned expensive"
ourderek

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 07, 2008 12:20 pm

We have crows year round here. I do not think they migrate.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby bluebird » Dec 07, 2008 1:36 pm

There are some really beautiful Mountain Ash around here and I'm adding it to my plant list for next spring. Edie, different varieties are ready to eat at different times...some need to soften up a bit first. The birds will know when is just the right time.

Sigh...wish I could see that gorgeous sight!

Crows here too year round and quite bold! I'm not used to being able to walk right up to them as they were very skittish at our old location.
bluebird

Postby ourderek » Dec 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Ron sez........"We have crows year round here. I do not think they migrate."
I wouldn't call it migration exactly, but they do move south a little way, it is a very mild winter if we have crows. Now ravens, that's a different story. They are here all winter.
Ourderek.
"Never before in the field of human conflict....
...have lawyers been so darned expensive"
ourderek

Postby butterfly » Dec 07, 2008 3:02 pm

We have many huge old mountain ash trees growing here wild

I don't know what variety they are.

When the receipe for MS jelly was posted, I asked many people if they knew any one who ate the berries

No one ever heard of the berries being eatable for humans.

My best friend bought an old farm property jut 1 kms from me, we bought our homes and land the same month and year 1965

Her property is a century farm, no longer the farm house is there, they bulilt a new home 30 years ago and tore down the old FH.

The MS trees on her place are huge and beautiful. The birds love the berries.

She gave me a shoot off hers about 4 years ao and she planted it for me.

it is about 5 ft high now but not one berry

I wonder how old they need to be before producing berries???

I gave the jelly receipe to my cuz and she made some. pretty nice jelly. Seems a mild flavor. Necx batch she mixed MS berries, black berrie and peaches.

Now that made a beautiful jam

My cuz also mixed MS with crab apple and this is a nice jelly She also mixed MS and pineapple in another batch but it seem MS is very mild flavored. Maybe this is the reason why many didn't make it, just a guess Mixing other berries or fruit with them picks up more flavor

I do make blackberry and peach jam, yummy but next year I am going to make MS jelly for sure so are some friends and they have aked me to thank the person for the receipe but I can't remember who it was.

Any one know??

Thank you
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Grannygardener » Dec 07, 2008 3:38 pm

bluebird wrote:different varieties are ready to eat at different times...

That explains a few things then.I made the berry jelly and it was really tart and I refused to put any more sugar than equal parts sugar and juice. It wasn't a waste however...boiled a spice bag in it for a while and now have a nice glaze for meat.Obviously should have waited till they were hit by a good frost.
Usually these trees have been cleaned up by the birds before the snow flies. That's why I thought it strange.
BF there were several recipes posted in Sept. One by Durgan, one by Coleen and one by, I think, Orchid guy. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Sometimes the berries freeze and ferment when the weather warms.I have see evening grosbeaks having quite a party as they ate them.They kept flying into the windows but were just stunned!They flew away in a few moments.
agedgardener2

Return to Over the Garden Fence