Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Lobster Meal

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Lobster Meal

Postby Durgan » Dec 07, 2008 5:48 pm

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?NPUAU 7 December 2008 Lobster Meal

Lobster season is now active off the coast of Nova Scotia. The lobster fishermen are getting about $3.00 per pound and lobster retail is $11.99 in my area. In previous years lobster fishermen would get over $5.00 per pound and the price retail was about $9.00. It appears the retailers are ripping people off judging by historical prices. The lower wholesale cost is not being passed on.

It is still a great opportunity to assist the fishermen by having one meal at least of fresh lobster, assuming one like lobster.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Re: Lobster Meal

Postby Eeyore » Dec 07, 2008 8:37 pm

I saw that on the news a short while ago. That is a disgraceful way to treat those that feed us! Nice looking lobster Durgan!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Lobster Meal

Postby butterfly » Dec 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Unfortunatly the seaon is not in my part of the province

The season is on the south west shores. Peggys cove, Digby, Shelburn and Yarmouth

Our season on this shore is about Mothers day

The retailers have an agreement between them so the fiherman cannot make any money

Both retailers agree to give the fisherman the same price

Many have given up the industry 3-4 years ago, My SIL gave up, they can't make any money. if you buy from the fishermen you get this price but not from the retailors
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Return to Over the Garden Fence