Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Thesis Project on Indoor Gardening.... Please Comment

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Thesis Project on Indoor Gardening.... Please Comment

Postby bluebird » Dec 03, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks Carol for this very very useful information.

Well I understand that it is different for every environment.... but would it be unreasonable to say that only fluorescent lights are available so then it possibly could work in different environments?

Actually, in the past, fluorescent lighting was a very reliable source of lighting and yes, many of our tried and true plants did well without any natural light at all. However (and I don't mean to be sounding so negative, but it is a reality) over the past decade new lighting has been introduced to save on energy costs. What we find these days is that lights are set so that they automatically turn off if there is no one in the area. And, to add to the difficulty, oftentimes people that are using their computer a lot prefer to work in subdued lighting conditions and turn their own lights off. Lighting has become quite a challenge of late for our industry. As Gilda Radner put it, "It's always something!" lol
OK maybe the care of the plants can be done by professionals, but I still want to see what kind of interactions that an employee can have with the plants...

Well, in my past experience, many of the office workers do have a close relationship with their plant(s) even though an outside service worker is caring for it. They will notice any change in the plant and will often inquire about it's health and progress. We have had many Wilma Warkneckiis, Margie Marginatas and Benji Benjaminas happily growing in offices over the years. At one private home when the palm trees overgrew their pool location and had to be cutdown to be replaced, both the man and lady of the house were in tears as if losing a dear friend. So, yes, there is a strong bond between plant and plant owners. They are an important part of their daily lives and woe to the plant care technician that doesn't respect that!
Plus as a student.... i think it's quite hard for me to actually visit a company so i'm really relying on what some office workers tell me :cry:

If you live in Ontario, you could contact Landscape Ontario, our association. They have a mandate to provide education to students and could open some doors for you. The company who's link I provided, is a member of Landscape Ontario.

And you are doing your homework very well and kudos to you. I'm sure you will come up with something that is going to pull all this together in an innovative way!
bluebird

Postby ming_15 » Dec 03, 2008 7:26 pm

bluebird wrote:If you live in Ontario, you could contact Landscape Ontario, our association. They have a mandate to provide education to students and could open some doors for you. The company who's link I provided, is a member of Landscape Ontario.

And you are doing your homework very well and kudos to you. I'm sure you will come up with something that is going to pull all this together in an innovative way!

Wow very useful information!! Love it!

And yes I do live in Ontario... as a matter of fact I live just north of Toronto in Thornhill... 30 minutes from downtown

and WOW i just went to the Landscape Ontario site so MANY companies..... so you are saying all of these companies are able to help me out?? or at least most?

Thank you very very very very very very very much!! Love all the information you've provided!

Ming
ming_15

Postby bluebird » Dec 03, 2008 8:45 pm

Keep in mind that at this time of year, many interiorscapers are insanely busy with seasonal decorations aka poinsettias!

We aren't, as we retired last September-lol.

Here's a another really good link for you to check out with a great video to watch telling all about living walls. If you get the chance, do go and experience a living wall in real time if you haven't yet done so. You can visit one in the atrium at University of Guelph - Humber building, Humber College, Toronto Ontario

You're very very very welcome and good luck with your pursuits.

~Carol

http://www.naturaire.com/
bluebird

Postby ming_15 » Dec 03, 2008 8:52 pm

bluebird wrote:Keep in mind that at this time of year, many interiorscapers are insanely busy with seasonal decorations aka poinsettias!

I assume after christmas would be a better time to contact them???

Ming
ming_15

Postby Katherine » Dec 07, 2008 11:02 pm

this came up on stumble upon (thanks Ven) and indicates there is a whole bunch of written material on this topic, if you look for it

http://www.contemporist.com/2008/11/29/ ... -hellgren/
Katherine

Postby ming_15 » Dec 07, 2008 11:53 pm

Katherine wrote:this came up on stumble upon (thanks Ven) and indicates there is a whole bunch of written material on this topic, if you look for it

http://www.contemporist.com/2008/11/29/ ... -hellgren/

Thanks loooks very cool.... but yeah I discussed with my prof about my concept and he liked it.... the only thing was choosing between present and future because if i was designing for the future then it's just like another furniture product, but if it was for the present then it would need to be implemented into current offices environments which is more of a challenge and if successful, then it would be a very good portfolio piece

I hope i will do good

Thanks Katherine
ming_15

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence