Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Frank - Can you explain how you do this?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Frank - Can you explain how you do this?

Postby Eeyore » Dec 08, 2008 11:07 am

Countryboy wrote:I use HOST files to block ads . . . and I've also added HOST file lists from elsewhere that may be blocking this ad. I don't really know.
Frank . . ON5a

Thanks!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Frank - Can you explain how you do this?

Postby Countryboy » Dec 08, 2008 11:20 am

Yeah . . I can Lyn. :) It's just a little complex so I'll pull together some screenshots to help explain it. In the meantime here's a link that will explain the principles of using HOST files to keep ads *and their tracking cookies :evil: * from loading. :wink:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Re: Frank - Can you explain how you do this?

Postby Countryboy » Dec 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Having heard the wishes of management in other threads maybe I will shut up abt deliberately blocking selected ads. They are entitled to their advertising revenues.

I will say tho that I did not block any ad for candles on this site. I will say also that I have no program specifically designed to block ads. It was not a blocked pop up either since I got no notification.

Many ads tho are hosted *loaded from* a site like Doubleclick which are known to embed tracking cookies on the machines of visitors who click on the link . . . deliberately or accidentally. If that were the case then my Spybot . . . that knows most of these sites . . . would have automatically prevented this ad from loading.

My only message to the management would be to sell yr ads . . . but see that they're clear of spyware. Many of us on the net can recognize a url that points to somewhere other than a legitimate site. As a matter of course we block those links. Then we pass the blocking information on to people who will see that that link is added to HOST file lists everywhere on the net.

'Pologies management :oops: . . . but that's what we do. :wink

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Over the Garden Fence