Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Familiar birdie faces in a new setting

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Familiar birdie faces in a new setting

Postby Smitty » Dec 07, 2008 11:59 pm

so glad I popped in for a peek!!
fabulous photos as always Cars.nice to see the birdies..none here except for the Raven's at work this morning...others off somewhere warmer I guess......could've at least offered to take me with them :)
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby MareE » Dec 08, 2008 2:10 am

They're all a sight for currently birdless eyes, Cars. So happy you've got a congregation together at your new old place. chirpchirp

Smitty, you have Ravens? Mebbe I'm perpetually lolligagging in bb's Birds 101, but have yet to spot a Raven. Stop me before I start quothing Edgar Alan Poe. LOL

Mars;o}

~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Countryboy » Dec 08, 2008 10:16 am

Thanx bb for the image imformation. We always had a quideline of three pix per post in our MSN forum . . . to accomodate dial-up users.

As to leaving them up for late-comers to see . . . MSN allowed us to upload images to a max of 3MB. Every once in a while we'd haft'a go back and delete some old images in order to add some new ones. Just wondered iff'n there was any similar guidelines here. :)

I'll get some 'Blue Jay on the kitchen floor' pix for y'all. They've also got us trained to hold out peanuts near where they land on the deck swing so they can snatch them our of our hands.

'Course, both of the above require waiting 'til we have some weather where the sliding door can be left open. Might be some time in the Spring. :wink: lol

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Smitty » Dec 08, 2008 10:38 am

MareE wrote:They're all a sight for currently birdless eyes, Cars. So happy you've got a congregation together at your new old place. chirpchirp

Smitty, you have Ravens? Mebbe I'm perpetually lolligagging in bb's Birds 101, but have yet to spot a Raven. Stop me before I start quothing Edgar Alan Poe. LOL

Mars;o}

'once upon a midnight dreary'...oh sorry it's not midnight but definitely sunless, cold morn here Mare. remember me lolligagging at the back of the class with ya?? spitballs for all in the front row? :D
well I was told that what I had been calling crows most of my life were probably actually Ravens.. only dif I was told was there size?? Ravens are bigger and that when it gets really cold the crows are smart enough to go to warmer places the Ravens stick around.
smitty waiting for teacher to tell her if it's so or not :?
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty

Postby bluebird » Dec 08, 2008 11:08 am

Hey Smitty, thanks for popping in for a quick beak peek! I can picture you madly waving at the birds flying away south..."take ME with yooooouu!" :lol: You are just on the edge of the American Crows year round range there in Winnipeg and just on the southern range edge of the Common Raven so it could be either. Just north of you American Crows migrate southward..but more as a shift south rather than say, flying to Costa Rica or some such. The fifth edition N.A. Geo field guide has an area void of ravens in the extreme southern area of Manitoba for some reason. NOW I'm curious about why.

Thanks Marsi...happy to share what few I've got! Yet to see a Raven either, but apparently they are in this area so will keep a watchful eye. The American Crows stay here year round.

Marsi and Smitty...quit with the spitballs the pair of you already! They're all sticking to the chalkboard! Glad I wear my trusty birding hat in class! :lol:

Frank, I do believe if you wander into UserCP (user control panel) located at the top of the page below the forum title, and then click on Manage Attachments, you can delete old attachments. There is a limit to how many it will hold.
However, that is only for directly uploaded attachments, not linked images. (I do linked images) The bandwidth for linked images is held at the host site rather than here on the forum, therefore it is my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) that that shouldn't affect the bandwidth totals for the forum. :? At least that is how it was in our old format. I'm as confused as anyone with this new format-laf.

Looking forward to your jay antics!
bluebird

Postby earwig » Dec 08, 2008 11:39 am

Eeyore wrote:Betty, do you have one of those cylindrical peanut feeders with the holes all around ? The nuthatches seem to like them.

I sure do Lyn, but the woodpeckers, bluejays, starlings, and the chickadees also like them so there is a long line up for it.

I do like TB as well, around 4 for me (must be the time difference) I go out and top up for the little birds. They are the last to leave and the first to appear in the morning so that way they will always get something.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby MareE » Dec 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Smitty wrote:smitty waiting for teacher to tell her if it's so or not :?

LAFF! Hollow Bic pen at the ready, Her Smittyness. Lots of paper ammo handy. I eagerly await refresher Birds 101 course under excellent-beyond-compare tutelage of Ms bb (who's as good at class control as I was, tho' my discipline wasn't in birds, dabnabit. harhar). Now stop passing notes!! I have enuff spitball ammo to make a Crow papiêr maché objet d'art, mercy buckets.

Sorry for the ruckus, Teach. We back-of-classers will behave...for a while. Please continue.

Mars/Mare;o}

And when do we have a field trip? chuckles
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Laura » Dec 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Love those nuthatches,I had both in the garden last year but have not had many birdies this year.Wondering if it is because we have had little snow this year,they don't need to come to the feeders if the food supply is not covered up.
Laura

Postby Smitty » Dec 08, 2008 2:05 pm

so's they could be Ravens or they could be Crows. out this morn for a jaunt and saw 10 of them crows/ravens?? scavenging on something frozen on side of road...was NOT stopping to investigate their meal..thank you
sorry for the disruption caused by back of classers teach. please don't send note home to my Mommy :P
[attachment=0]BLUEBIRD_OF_HAPPINESS_COLLECTION.JPG[/attachm ent]

smitty with gifts for teacher :)
Attachments
BLUEBIRD_OF_HAPPINESS_COLLECTION.JPG
Smitty

Postby kelly_m » Dec 08, 2008 3:52 pm

One other difference is the raven will have a more crooked/hooked beak. And a much lower caw than the crow....Have only seen them at a friends cottage in the Dorset (ont) area....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence