Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Familiar birdie faces in a new setting

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Familiar birdie faces in a new setting

Postby bluebird » Dec 08, 2008 6:09 pm

Aww Smitty...isn't that a nice prezzie! Even nicer than Marsi's jingle bell earrings! Thanks and you just scored yourself an A+ as I'm easily bribed-laf!

Laura, I think that could be possibly so. I'm sure they'll all be back to Laura's Garden of Eatin'!

Thanks K for the detailed info...I had three AMCRs in the back today sitting high up on a branch and I did some serious studying of their bill profile in silhouette with bird guide in hand. Definitely not ravens that time!
bluebird

Postby Smitty » Dec 08, 2008 6:50 pm

bluebird wrote:Aww Smitty...isn't that a nice prezzie! Even nicer than Marsi's jingle bell earrings! Thanks and you just scored yourself an A+ as I'm easily bribed-laf! !

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ...after all these years still haven't lost the touch :)
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Dec 08, 2008 7:05 pm

I've gotten crows and ravens confused too Smitty but in general if you see a lot of them together like that it's probably crows rather than ravens...

Lyn - atthebackofbirdID10aswell....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Dec 08, 2008 7:14 pm

now that is why I like this forum so much...learning, learning and lots of good folks too. thanks Lyn
smitty now settling in at the back of class with friends again :)
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 08, 2008 9:55 pm

Kelly wrote:One other difference is the raven will have a more crooked/hooked beak. And a much lower caw than the crow....Have only seen them at a friends cottage in the Dorset (ont) area....

wadabout beak colour?
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby bluebird » Dec 08, 2008 10:25 pm

The bill is the same colour in both Ron...

Crows have a fan shaped tail while ravens do not. But that only helps if the crow fans his tail out to see. :roll:
bluebird

Postby kelly_m » Dec 09, 2008 12:06 am

AND...if you manage a close up of the head, the AMCR has a more rounded silouhette than the CORA....I know a Cora....she doesn't have an odd head..... :shock:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence