Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

A gaggle of toys

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: A gaggle of toys

Postby butterfly » Dec 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Lee

Your toys are wonderful.

You could make a small fortune this time of year

On Canada Am the other day a consumer report telling parents wooden toys with no paint is the best way to go now with all the lead in paint etc

They are promoting wooden toys this year

which reminds me of my grandad made my sister and I wooden toys

I remember them so well, one was goofy that danced. he had flexible joints I think by pulling a string to mak him dance and head movements

I love them

I was going to buy my grandsons a home made wooden trucks I saw at athome show last Fall They were quite large and asking $150 each

My daughter said don't waste yopur money they will never play with them but I think she is wrong

Kids today have all this techie stuff games etc which i wish they would get off the damn computers they are on for hours at a time
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Dec 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Trailblaze1:

As Ron knows, I enjoy turning perfectly good lumber into sawdust LOL. Not many hobby woodworkers think of toys & that they can be a means of converting their cut-off scraps into something productive & that toys for needy kids are an excellent means of doing this. As the cut-offs are left over from other projects....they are essentially no cost to the hobbyist other than time & when you are retired that is a commodity that is plentiful at some periods of the year.
Toy making, if you take a proven design authored by a professional toymaker, because to him time is money, there is always the opportunity to apply your imagination to modifications(because you have the time) & that makes it interesting & enjoyable.
I forgot to tell MareE that it takes me about 18 to 20 hrs of fooling around to make most of the animated pull toys. The tops about 4 hrs.
Both are toys that both girls & boys can play with & enjoy.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Katherine » Dec 08, 2008 10:31 pm

Those are very nice, and the fact that they were made by a craftsman made makes them very special. Some little kids, and the parents are really going to appreciate the time and effort.

kat
Katherine

Postby Pansy » Dec 08, 2008 10:47 pm

Gosh Lee you'll have to gain a lot of weight to be Santa,but your hearts sure in the right place.

God bless you.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby MareE » Dec 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks Lee. An inspiration! When you said Dave Wakefield I thought of of Rick Wakefield's "Arc of a Diver Perfectly." Dave's an excellent toy designer and how wonderful he doesn't mind your modifications. They're ingenious. quack!quack!

Short story quick. My Mom wanted to cut out three Canada Geese from 3/8" plywood. Well, she managed to use a stack of her sister's LPs as work surface. You guessed it. LP collection no longer in storage for future flight to Australia. The aunt in question has gotten over her huff. Also, Mom's jigsaw is a write-off. BUT bright side of the penny is that I'm a ratpacker/packratter and have LOTS of plywood to play with.

Mare;o} and the geese are retired
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence