Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Ooops! Call Out the Army!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Ooops! Call Out the Army!

Postby Countryboy » Dec 09, 2008 11:52 am

T'rawnna's sure gettin' a whack of snow this morning! :shock:
Attachments
SnowSquall.jpg
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Re: Ooops! Call Out the Army!

Postby MareE » Dec 09, 2008 11:56 am

Well, that does it, Countryboy. I'm hanging up my shovel and rolling huge snowballs down to end of driveway for the town plow to demolish and pass on to the neighbours. laff!

MareE in Hill O'Disgruntled;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Well, we are in its path too, just at the very nor'eastern tip of Lake Ontario, but a strange thing happens. Winds from somewhere blow the storm north or south of us, often parting in the middle and missing us entirely.
I can stand on my front deck and watch the clouds go by, with a great sea of blue over my head. Most peculiar. I call it 'reverse-lake-effect' (or somethin'. Been happening for 12 years since we lived here. Few people believe me until they see it for themselves.

If you click the radar, focus on the black dot at Franktown, and look at the 7 o'clock position on the innermost circle, that's where I'm at.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Countryboy » Dec 09, 2008 2:21 pm

Yeah TB . . . I've been to the Franktown site. :) Last summer I got to hang out a couple of times with a friend in beautiful, downtown Sydenham. :D Ain't it great to be able to check the weather before a trip eh. :wink:

And since it's so hard to see from here with that big 'P' in Peterborough planted right in my back yard I've gotta go with the radar shots.

All that lot from T'rawnna moved straight North and the remnants are over Lake Simcoe now . . . heavy, heavy snow. It's warming a bit tho. Hope it turns to rain for u soon Mare. :)

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby MareE » Dec 09, 2008 2:35 pm

Have extended the deadline, Countryboy. In an hour other peoples' kids will be out of school and two of them will be begging to shovel the drive for a sawbuck.

Well, that USED to happen!

MareE renting K's Kkids from 3 to 4;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby butterfly » Dec 09, 2008 2:45 pm

Your lucky you can get kids to shovel Mare

They want $12 an hour here or $20 to do the small deck and a around the car and another $20 to shovel one walk

Their parents put that price down
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby MareE » Dec 09, 2008 2:59 pm

[size=12Actually, those two angels showed up 7 years ago, BF. I wrote about them here. Never seen such earnest faces on enterprising kids since. Brothers. Their goal was to buy their Mom and Dad something special. Perhaps a snow-blower. laffs

I'll never forget them and I KNOW they showed up following Hallowe'en demanding second Cokes. Which they got. LOL

Mare;o} gotta appreciate junior entrepreneurs in any shape, size or form of shovel
[/size]
MareE

Postby butterfly » Dec 09, 2008 3:08 pm

I hadd 2 brohers and a friend who showed up here last summer for the lawns, really nice kids and I hired them but for snow a big price

Now I am hearing these kids are getting in trouble, setting fires and distroying propety or they are getting blamed for it but they sure don't seemed to be the kind of kids that would do things like that

But I do know they are hanging around with an older bad kid of late
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Dec 09, 2008 4:04 pm

I remember the major of TO, Mel, calling out the army one year for a snow storm and it seemed not to be that much snow in comparison to what we get sometimes

I thought was funny but maybe they didn't have ploughs to handle it.c can't remember
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby MareE » Dec 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Mayor Mel Lastman, BF. His calling out the "army" for snow clean-up was laffable never mind expensive. Good memory! And Countryboy, yours too!

Mare;o}
MareE

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence