Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Tourtiere recipe

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Tourtiere recipe

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 10, 2008 10:47 am

Here is a link to one I use as the basis of mine. You can substitute chicken stock for the water as Brenda does.

Ron now watching for ground pork @ half price. :wink:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Meat-Pie-Tourtiere/Detail.aspx
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: Tourtiere recipe

Postby Eeyore » Dec 10, 2008 11:17 am

Do you use all pork Ron? I've got a recipe that calls for part ground beef.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Dec 10, 2008 11:29 am

The recipe I use I got from B's mom,it has beef,pork,mashed potato,onion,cinnamon,nutmeg,pepper,and salt.

Laura

Postby B_BQ » Dec 10, 2008 12:09 pm

The recipe you posted Ron looks pretty good. I also use paprika, but put it in with the rest of the spices. The paprika I use is 'hot'.

Like others, I have had tourtiere with beef, beef/pork, pork/veal, pork/chicken.

I actually do prefer the combination of pork/veal or pork/chicken.

Also, for us, the quantities of spices are just not enough, so I 'up' the quantity a little bit! But this is a personal preference. I think it's the Allspice that gives it the unique taste, so I wouldn't leave it out. My son doesn't like the taste or smell of cloves at all, so I just use a pinch of powdered, and he hasn't caught on yet that there are cloves in it! Sssshhhh.

Definitely using chicken stock gives the finished taste more body. If I don't have any home-made chicken stock then I use the No-Name low salt chicken stock.

Once it is cooked, (and you will need a big pot BTW), taste it before making up the pies, and adjust the seasoning to your taste.

I've just got back from grocery shopping. I didn't buy any pork, but it was on 'special'. Better hoof it to your local store Ron - you may just get a good buy.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 10, 2008 1:32 pm

BBQ
Better hoof it to your local store Ron - you may just get a good buy.

A quick trip to Price Chopper netted me two 500gm packages of ground pork @ half price. Tis simmering away now. 8)

All pork Lyn.
Attachments
10-01.JPG
Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby Eeyore » Dec 10, 2008 3:19 pm

I think I will give this a try. I like the combination of seasonings that I see and it appears that any combination of meats can be used.
Thanks Ron, Brenda and Laura!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MareE » Dec 11, 2008 9:10 am

I am in receipt of three of your tourtiere variations from last year, BBQ, when I was challenged to make one for a pre-Christmas family gathering. Served with cheesed onions and a crisp salad and store-bought fresh bread. And gifted dill pickles. Not good at doing pastry but it turned out okay. Don't need to bake one this year cuz remnants are being used as a door stoppers by the family vegan. Just kiddink! What I finally concocted was tasty.

MareE;o} loving all the shared recipes here
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 11, 2008 9:45 am

Oh my!....these recipes look all so tasty. I never thought to put more spices than my usual onions, garlic, s&p and 2 cloves (per 2 lbs meat).
Thank you....I'm going to get brave and try different spices.

Ron, do you trust ground pork from the grocery store? I prefer to buy whole chunks and grind it myself....cuz I've seen what they do behind those closed doors (pick stuff off the floor, wipe counters down with dirty cloths, or worse: their sleeves - uck). I suppose the cooking kills all germs though. I'm more than a bit phobic about food cleanliness; will refuse food if someone sneezes in the vicinity of it.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 11, 2008 9:52 am

Laf TB, I used to be like that too. As a kid I would not even accept a cookie @ some homes I visited. Later in life I realized that some kids that grew up in less than sanitary conditions were just as healthy as myself.

Best you do not see the kitchens of many restaurants. :roll:
Ron.

Ron Evers

Return to Over the Garden Fence