Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Pine soap bar for Mare

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Pine soap bar for Mare

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 10, 2008 5:56 pm

I did it! finally made the pine soap you asked for. Only: I couldn't bear the smell of pine alone, (reminded me of floor cleaner) so added a dollop of orange essential oil to the pine eo.

Hope you like it!

actually, if you live within mailing distance, I could mail you a bar, and you can give me your opinion on it...I love to get others to test-smell my soapies. To me, they all smell great, but then: they are my babies.

Here's the wee loaf:

and cut into 15 bars. (before trimming and polishing and labelling)

Notice the ugly end-cut in front right? The end is one I always keep for myself or family, or give it to willing 'tester' friends, so this end piece is yours if you want it, Mare. I'd like to know if it's the pine soap you remember, hanker for.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Re: Pine soap bar for Mare

Postby jazz » Dec 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Well Mare if yu dont take the offer I will lol. Jazz
jazz

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 10, 2008 6:32 pm

I will even label it for you, with its proper label, telling you what ingredients it was made with.

I usually do all my soapies with oils of olive, palm kernel and/or cocoa butter, castor. This one has both pko and cocoa butter.
Trailblaze1

Postby Eeyore » Dec 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Oh My! All those skin loving lanolins!!!

I rarely use soap on my skin as I find most types too harsh. Yours sound divine! I'll have to visit your site.

Ummm, what happened to your website link?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MareE » Dec 11, 2008 8:50 am

YAY! Looks good enuff to eat, Trailblaze! Thanks tons for making me a 'tester'. At your service happily. I'll PM you my mailing address for end piece of your soapie and share it with Jazz and Lyn. (I'm really not on another planet. chuckles) Quite sure it won't reek like Pinesol. bleck

Honoured Mare;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 11, 2008 9:36 am

My website addy is http://www.brookevalleysoap.ca. I won't put a url around it, so that every web crawler can find it. I try to remain a little bit 'hidden', which sounds ridiculous if one is in retail biz. But I am mainly a hobbyist soapmaker now.....after 7 years of intensive selling at craft shows, markets and outdoor herbfests and 3 stores. I burned myself out with too-much-enthusiasm (and a bit of greediness). So this year I've scaled back to one-store only, and a sign on my lawn for any droppers-by.
I am hoping to resurrect some of that initial enthusiasm, and return to "beginner's mind" as the Zen folk say. I do provide one store in Perth with enough soap per month to keep them happy, and me in pocket change (which I use to support my soap habit, (or addiction as so many of us call it)) hehe
I want to love soapmaking again, and to concentrate on creating interesting scent combos that I really love, and am happy to give as gifts.
I also love scent (almost fetishly) and read everything I can find on the subject. My mother used to say that I smelled everything as a child, every rock, every piece of clothing she put on me, everything! Wish I had made a career of it earlier in life.
Trailblaze1

Postby Eeyore » Dec 11, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks Diane - I'll browse it a bit later. I'm in class all day today.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Dec 11, 2008 10:54 am

very interested in your soaps TB. will check out your website when I have some time but in the interim.............is it all natural??? I have many chemical allergies and find it hard to find soaps(not to mention a million other things) that do not have any in it. unfortunately I have also passed this bad gene on to 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Trailblaze1 » Dec 11, 2008 11:09 am

Smitty: I am not sure what exactly you mean by: "all natural".

Is anything on this planet 'all natural' anymore? what's in the rain? in the air we breathe? I know people who have many sorts of allergies and phobias about this topic, so it's a tough one for me to answer.
I can tell you that I do not add any preservatives, or odd sorts of things, but I don't buy organic olive oil(too costly) or palm kernel(not sure if it comes in organic).

So my best answer is that I buy the best ingredients I can find out there.
I do grow my own lavender buds, and never put pesticides on them. The lye is from Home Hardware, I'm not sure of how they make it. Lye is traditionally made from wood ash....but what kind of wood? where was it grown? How was it handled, before, during and after processing?
I use my own purified well water.
The scents are from New Directions Aromatics. I do prefer their essential oils because I prefer how they smell, and they claim to be steam-distilled and 'natural' (the word is overused in all industry today). But I also buy their synthetic fragrances, cuz most customers who don't have allergies prefer them.

it's a question, which I have been asked very many times in 7 years, as you can imagine. I try not to sound like a purist, as I don't suffer with allergies myself, except to musts and molds. (and I live in a musty, moldy nature place, on a beaver pond, with mosquitoes, deer ticks etc.)

I can tell you that many people with allergies and troubling skin conditions like eczema, or acne buy my soaps regularly and say that they are so good for their skin.

beyond that, I dare not tread.....for "here there be dragons...."

and one last note: I didn't put this post in here cuz I'm looking for new customers - I have all I can handle right now. But I never turn anyone away, because, since I began making soap, so many people have told me that they love it and haven't been able to find good soap out there, so I feel a responsibility to share.
Trailblaze1

Postby Smitty » Dec 11, 2008 11:18 am

LOL!!! so true that nothing in this world is totally 'au natural'. best one can do is to decrease exposure to chemicals thru constant label reading and the likes.
sounds like you make a gret attempt at making your soap as natural as possible. but alas it won't work for me after reading your response. wood ash which I realize is not a chemical(technically) is in the top 10 of my allergies.
you wouldn't perhaps ever make it without the lye?
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence