Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Supper Dec. 12

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Supper Dec. 12

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 12, 2008 7:32 pm

Chicken breast.
Attachments
12-04.JPG
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: Supper Dec. 12

Postby B_BQ » Dec 12, 2008 7:57 pm

Nice comfort food for you too Ron! The chicken looks delicious - crunchy on the outside and probably moist inside! :)

I went the beef/mushroom route in the pressure cooker. It wasn't as though I needed to cook it quickly, it's just that this particular recipe always turns out so well when it's cooked in the pressure cooker!

I also made up some fresh horseradish. Nice, but didn't have much of a kick! :cry:

~BBQ

Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 12, 2008 8:04 pm

There must be a secret to getting nice HOT horseradish. I grew our own for years but was never able to get the great Hot flavour the Mennonites @ the farmers market could. :cry:
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Dec 13, 2008 3:23 am

Ron and Brenda,

Both suppers look good...comfort food indeed!

We had our version of comfort food too: chili and biscuits. I served a salad, but the kids wouldn't touch it. My daughter loves chili, but she eats it with a small bowl on the side where all the visible veggies go. :|

If the recommended diet is 5-6 servings of fruit and veg per day, only one of the three kids would get a passing grade.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Dec 13, 2008 10:15 am

Donna: Is there anyone who doesn't like Chili? :roll:

I was fortunate that neither of my children turned up their noses at veggies - although my son had a hard time with Brussels sprouts! :lol:
I didn't make a big fuss, just that I expected him to eat ONE, and I didn't much care if he held his nose and swallowed it in one go, which is what he did! He now chooses to eat them!

As you know, a blender is a great piece of equipment to make fruit smoothies. What child doesn't like a smoothie. It's a treat, and they won't realize that they're getting the required amount of fruit each day! Frozen raspberries, blueberries and strawberries are great fruits to use.

Most children like to eat with their hands. You could make up a bowl of raw veggies, and as you're a great cook you could maybe come up with a dip which they all like. They could then just help themselves.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Dec 13, 2008 9:11 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, Brenda.

They do like their fruit smoothies made with yogurt and frozen mixed berries. Carrot and cucumber sticks are sometimes a hit too, with lots of dip on the side of course. Is it asking for the moon for them to eat what is served to them instead of picking out anything remotely nutritious?
DonnaZn2SK

Return to Over the Garden Fence