Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Copy of a post from the original Patio

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Copy of a post from the original Patio

Postby Laura » Dec 13, 2008 7:48 am

This recipe is the best,all the birds love it.The lady next door bought a suet cake to put out and nobirdy touched it,but they eat mine right up . . . goes to show you can't beat home made.
Laura

Postby Countryboy » Dec 13, 2008 9:55 am

Thanx for that rendering recipe bb. :)

I maybe should have said that my method comes with a caveat. I cannot leave the suet/fat out in temps above 5 degrees C . . and don't.

First of all I work in/on my house so I'm here every day. Secondly I keep the path across the deck swept so that under most conditions I can get to it wearing just my slippers. And thirdly my fridge is no more than abt 4 metres from the feeder . . . the bag of fat gets taken down and goes back into the freezer on the warmer days.

So I guess that the 'fat' method wouldn't be for everybody :oops: but it works for me. :)

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby bluebird » Dec 13, 2008 10:05 am

Sounds like you have it well sorted then Frank. All good.

And it did give us a chance to let folks know about the danger of leaving unrendered fat out, should the weather turn mild. Not everyone knows that and we always have to look out for our feathered pals, even if it means seeming a bit "pushy" at times. :lol:

Hey...a Mourning Dove is at the feeder here. First one I've seen up here so far! I can't believe I'm getting excited over seeing a MODO as we used to get them by the droves at our old place..but I am! :D
bluebird

Postby Eeyore » Dec 13, 2008 2:37 pm

Laura, Iève had the same experience with the store bought suet. Iève even melted it down and added peanut butter to it but still no go. They really do like the home made one best.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluebird » Dec 14, 2008 12:25 pm

Eeyore wrote:Laura, Iève had the same experience with the store bought suet. Iève even melted it down and added peanut butter to it but still no go. They really do like the home made one best.

I've done a few "Pillsbury suet bake-offs" and the homemade always wins, wings down!
bluebird

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence