Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Posting Photos

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Posting Photos

Postby Abby44 » Dec 14, 2008 8:41 pm

Would someone mind telling me once again how to post pics here. My photos are 3-4 MB so in order to get them into Photo Bucket they have to be downsized and I have to carry two shots different sizes. Many forums you can upload pics and their uploader brings them to whatever size that web page takes which is fast & simple.
Is there an easier way?
Thanks for your help
Abby
Abby44

Re: Posting Photos

Postby Ron Evers » Dec 14, 2008 9:01 pm

Abby, most of my photos here are uploaded to the forum. I re size them so the maximum dimension is 800 & the file size about 250. I use a free download called Photoscape to archive this. I use Photobucket on occasion when needed for another forum & then use the uplink here as well. Photos unlinked to directly to this site must be clicked on by the observer to see a clearer image.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby butterfly » Dec 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Abby

I move all my pic to photobucket

PB automatically sizes them to fit the forum for you

No fuss or work for you then you just post them as they are.
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Countryboy » Dec 14, 2008 11:21 pm

If happen to be running Windows XP the simplest way I know to resize pix is with Windows Power Toys. This link will take u there.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Scroll down to Image Resizer in the right hand column and click to download. This program will not show up on yr machine but will show when u right click on an image. Now u will have an option in the dropdown to chose 'Resize Pictures'.

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby testing » Dec 15, 2008 7:06 am

Abby, maximum allowed by attachment is 2 MB but that is by each file and you can post more than one for each post.

I resize any I am posting by attachment by using Irfanview, a free download and one I have used for years but there are many just as good or even better out there. Like Ron, I find 800 a good size and brings things down to under 2 mb, although I have used larger since I got high speed.

I use Flickr as my photo site and there is no need to resize as you can choose what size you want when uploading. I always found Photobucket too slow for my dial up.

I really like the way the forum now handles photos. Before high speed I missed viewing photos as my dial up could not view many photos. Now it shrinks them to a acceptable level for all and if one wants to see larger, just double click if you use the attachment.

My problem with the attachment is that I forget to click the add file at times and then sit and wonder what is taking so long....
Betty, who is user earwig, but that account is not being cooperative.
testing

Postby Abby44 » Dec 15, 2008 11:55 am

Thank you all very much! I was looking for a way not to carry two sizes of every photo I might want to post to a forum. I like to maintain the original size in case I want to print them on my PC.
Abby
Abby44

Return to Over the Garden Fence