Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

story sound familiar?

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

story sound familiar?

Postby orchidguy » Dec 10, 2008 9:46 pm

This is a very big step for me because I tenaciously guard my privacy, and live in the middle of nowhere for that reason. Guess it's time to smarten up a bit. Here goes nothin'
This is Benedict. He was created by a german artist, of cast stone with bronze overlay. He sits under a weeping lilac in the new gardens planted last fall and watches over the mini pond. His story is what got me and I had to get him.
Benedict started life as a mortal and fell in love with a woman who didnt love him. He went to her home and asked if he could court her. She told him no, but might reconsider if he changed himself to a gargoyle. He proceeded to visit a witch that granted his wish. He went back to his lady love and asked her if he could court her now. She said no, but if he can learn to fly, and can fly her up to the castles tower, she would consider it. So he learned to fly, and took her up to the castle tower to look over the land. He then asked her again, can I court you now. She said yes, but would have to go home to tell her parents. She asked him to stay put and wait for her until she returns. She never did. He turned to stone and watching over the valley for his true love to return.
I thought to myself, I just gotta have this gaffer in my garden. So here he is
20070810 010.jpg
DSC00214.JPG
DSC00181.JPG
orchidguy

Re: story sound familiar?

Postby kelly_m » Dec 10, 2008 10:26 pm

First...let me say...unless your neighbour is on this forum and recognizes your trees, I think you are safe. :wink:

Second...what a story...when I was young I devoured fables and myths....

Third...Wow!!! What a gragoyle...not really a gargoyle kinda gal (prefer faeries...) but that one is....Neat! The tears running down his face.....

Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby orchidguy » Dec 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Thank you Kelly

The nearest neighbour is 5 miles away on all sides of the property, and thats the way I like it. Spent the last 21 years surrounded by people for my work, and I still think the nicest part of the day was turning into my driveway, closing the gates and breathing air that isnt tainted with exhaust fumes, body odours or sulphur.
orchidguy

Postby Eeyore » Dec 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Great story! I've never heard that one before. That's a great gargoyle too. Like Kel, I'm not really a gargoyle person but he's a good one! Very eerie with the footlights on him.... :shock:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby testing » Dec 11, 2008 7:25 am

Familar yes, in that it is a heartbreaking story of love and treachery. His face tells the story, you provided the details.

I happen to like gargoyles but looking at him wrenches my heart so I am not sure if I could have him in my garden.
Betty, who is user earwig, but that account is not being cooperative.
testing

Postby Smitty » Dec 11, 2008 10:13 am

you live in my dream world!!!!!
love the gargoyle!! makes him even grander hearing the story
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby A Closet Canuck » Dec 11, 2008 5:18 pm

A gorgeous gargoyle in "Out in the Middle of Nowhere" paradise. The story is a sad commentary on women, though.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Rosarian » Dec 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Love the gargoyle. The light makes it look special.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Rosarian

Postby Countryboy » Dec 11, 2008 7:17 pm

Now that's a handsome gargoyle . . . but his true love's parents didn't think so . . . so she was turned to stone herself rather than allowed to go off with her gargoyle. And that's why she never made it back. :cry:

Seriously tho . . . that's a beautiful garden ornament. Thanx for the pix! :)

Frank . . ON5a
Attachments
BleedingHeart.JPG
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Sheikea » Dec 16, 2008 10:05 am

Love your Gargole hun he is fabulous.I love all those type of fabled ordaments.From fairies to gnomes to dwarfs to Gargoles.Matter of factly have myself a beautiful Dragon watching over my ponds.I can never seem to get enough of those items and hubby says I am gonna run out of room.Rubbish I say there is always room for magic. :D
Sheikea

Next

Return to Garden Gallery