Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Help for an elephant's ear plant

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Help for an elephant's ear plant

Postby CG admin » Jan 12, 2009 11:08 am

I hope someone can answer my question regarding one of my indoor potted plants. I have an elephant's ear plant, the green with cream variegated arrow shaped leaves. I brought it from home into my office space, resting atop a file cabinet, close to overhead lighting. I have noticed recently that some of the leaves are getting brown dry spots, usually on the edge somewhere. That never happened when I had it at home. Can someone please tell me what is causing this? Thank you

(Posted on behalf of a reader.)
CG admin
Site Admin

Re: Help for an elephant's ear plant

Postby kelly_m » Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am

Although I am not much of an expert on indoor plants (at least the ones I don't have like elephants ear..) I can tell you that office environments tend to be much drier than one's home. It could be that you need to water it a little more than what you would at home. Maybe misting it between waterings as well.

Hopefully someone more in the know can help you better.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby orchidguy » Jan 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Tara
Sounds like your elephants ears have dried out between waterings. They originate in swampy areas with high humidity (Colocasia, Alocasia) and go into a semi dormancy when allowed to dry out. It will spring back with regular waterings,and do not feed until new growth appears. Hope this has helped
orchidguy

Postby bluebird » Jan 13, 2009 11:50 am

There are so many plants that share the common name "Elephant Ear" that I wouldn't hazard a guess as to which type you have.

That said, it could be getting too dry between waterings, it could be the dry air or both.

The one thing I would rule out first though under those growing conditions, is spider mite. Check underneath the leaves for fine webbing and tiny salt sized specks that move when you blow on them. If you don't see any, then just follow the advice given. If you do, then let us know.

(A photo of the plant would be most helpful.)
bluebird

Return to Indoor Plants