Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

3 new plants without labels

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

3 new plants without labels

Postby Eeyore » Jan 15, 2009 9:58 pm

I would like to know the names of these please.

Palm.jpg
I know this is a palm but what kind? How big will it get?

Tropicals_2.jpg
Bromeliad? Probably not.

Tropicals_3.jpg
I think this might be a viney type of thing. I should know what it is but I can't recall the name.

These are all planted in your run of the mill potting soil. Is that good enough or do they need better drainage?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: 3 new plants without labels

Postby kelly_m » Jan 15, 2009 10:04 pm

I want to know the first one too...I have that.

And the second one I have too....it's a trailer. The name escapes me at the moment (but then so is pretty much every thing else today!) It will eventually need a bigger pot when it starts to put out babies and branches...that one will just tip over!

Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby orchidguy » Jan 15, 2009 11:52 pm

Lyn
Your first pic is Chamaedorea elegans, known as bella or parlour palm.
In nature it reaches about 10' high, but stays smaller in the home.
Your second pic is a Rhoeo discolor, and is known as moses in the boat or moses in the cradle. It won't get much taller, but spreads to a very bushy plant
Your third is Cissus rhombifolia, or grape ivy. It makes a wonderful hanging plant and does'nt need much care
Hope this has helped ya
orchidguy

Postby bluebird » Jan 16, 2009 12:34 am

:wink: Lyn...the first one's full name is indeed Neanthe Bella like I said before. (just a chuckle between Lyn and I, Dan. I told her what it was going to be before seeing it.) Do watch out for spider mite on this one as they are very prone to it.

The second one, Moses-in-the-cradle is one that my Mom always had. (No, not bromeliad) It flowers little white flowers in a sort of pod snuggled into the leaves looking just like...well what it's named for! In South Texas I recall huge plantings of these creating quite an amazing effect. It will spread at the base. You can clean his leaves with a soft cloth and a little bit of ivory dish soap...then wipe again with water and once more with a soft dry cloth. You'll be pleased with how nice the leaves will look.

Both of the above will do fine in well drained rich medium aka tropical plant potting soil.

Your Cissus, or Grape Ivy prefers a more acidic soil but can handle the typical tropical plant soil as long as it is well drained. The main thing to watch out for with Grape Ivy though is fungal problems as they are very prone to it. Make sure it always has good air circulation and if you add it to your baskets you are creating, make sure it isn't crowded in. And very important to keep the leaves dry to prevent the evil grey fuzzies aka Botrytis.

Keep them in the small pots (until it is time to plant them into your mixed containers) with bright filtered light. Enjoy!
bluebird

Postby Eeyore » Jan 16, 2009 12:41 am

Thanks Carol and Dan, I'll keep an eye on them and treat them well.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Indoor Plants