Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

starting begonias

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

starting begonias

Postby butterfly » Jan 31, 2009 10:18 pm

I haven't grown them before because they need shade which I lacked

But ove the years some trees and shrubs grew where I have shade now

When do you plant the bulbs and how do you care for them??

Just warmth and water?

I thought I could plant some among the hostas or would that be too much and do they need more room
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Re: starting begonias

Postby Sharon Bryson » Feb 01, 2009 10:32 am

[bHi BF:
Tuberous begonias need to be started around the end of April here in our part of the world.
If you start them too early, they get too big, and don't make the transition to the outdoor without a lot of breakage. They really do not "harden off" all that well compared to some things. One really needs to keep them out of direct sun and wind for a week before setting them in a garden bed. Ours are put on the table under the overhang at the front of the house.
I plant ours in trays of regular potting mix, nestling them in so they are not quite buried. It depends upon the size of the tubers. They should all have their "eyes" exposed.
If you are starting with new tubers, they likely will not be very big.
You can also use individual pots.
I give them a bit of fertilizer while inside, but not much.Keep them a bit on the cool side....too much heat promotes wimpy growth, as is the case with many indoor started things. They can be quite a distance from the lights compared to other transplants.

They cannot tolerate frost, so I find I don't usually get them planted out until at least June7+/-(maybe later!)
Outside they need a reasonably well prepared soil, with good drainage.
Outdoors they seem to do well with morning sun, and a location without too much wind.
][/b]
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby butterfly » Feb 04, 2009 3:29 pm

thanks Sharon
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby Carol 4B » Feb 04, 2009 4:28 pm

Another begonia for shade are Wax Begonias which grow approx. 10-12 inches tall and come in colours of white, pink, and scarlet, and come either with a green leave or a bronze leaf; they will even do well in full sun as long as you give them lots of water. These plants are very easy to grow, require no deadheading, and do not suffer from excessive heat or too much water.

You can pick these plants up in flats at the beginning of the gardening season dirt cheap, so it is hardly worth the effort to start them from seed.

PS: I was thinking of you this morning since we share a birthday.
"Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live."
Carol 4B

Postby butterfly » Feb 05, 2009 9:13 pm

Carol 4B wrote:Another begonia for shade are Wax Begonias which grow approx. 10-12 inches tall and come in colours of white, pink, and scarlet, and come either with a green leave or a bronze leaf; they will even do well in full sun as long as you give them lots of water. These plants are very easy to grow, require no deadheading, and do not suffer from excessive heat or too much water.

You can pick these plants up in flats at the beginning of the gardening season dirt cheap, so it is hardly worth the effort to start them from seed.

PS: I was thinking of you this morning since we share a birthday.

Hi Carol

I have grown Wax Begonias before many years ago but I thouht they needed lots of shade too

They didn't do well for me. Maybe water they lacked knowing me, lol,lol

Is it my birthday we share?

Happy birthday to you to and have many more

Thanks BF
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Feb 06, 2009 2:26 pm

Do beginia bulbs multiply?

How fast do they make new ones?
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby Sharon Bryson » Feb 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi BF:
Tuberous Begonias increase in size each year(with any luck!) With the size increase comes the growth of more eyes (& thus blooms) each season.

If you have a really big tuber with quite a number of eyes, the tuber can be cut in two with several eyes remaining in each half. The cut pieces need to be "dressed" with some bulb dust and allowed to dry and callus over.
I don't think I have any pics to specifically show this.

It seems to take quite a lot of care to get good tuber increase. Some seem to spontaneously do bad things, while others just plug along year after year.

We have some tubers that are close to thirty years old that were given to me many years ago by my Dad. Some are weird and wonderful shapes by now.
Sharon Bryson

Return to Plant Talk