Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

A Wisteria for zone 3!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

A Wisteria for zone 3!

Postby Eeyore » Mar 15, 2009 12:12 pm

I was at the greenhouse yesterday and was surprised to see a Wisteria for Zone 3! :o
It is called Kentucky Blue Moon, WOW! I just may have to find a spot for this one!

Blue Moon Wisteria
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: A Wisteria for zone 3!

Postby cherylr » Mar 15, 2009 1:36 pm

Hmmm, I wander if I could get this one to bloom for me. :roll:
Cheryl
Eastern ON ~ zone 4a
cherylr

Postby Eeyore » Mar 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Presumably yes! It may take a few years but supposedly it does after about 3 years.

Where is Olivia? She'd love to know about this one!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Mar 16, 2009 9:29 am

looky thaer would ya..ask for more info..scroll down a bit further in new posts and voila there it is! thanks Lyn..will be looking for this one here if the garden centres ever open
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Sheikea » Mar 16, 2009 9:37 am

Gah u had to didn't you..LOL I have so many seeds to do and now a wisteria ...:Shakes her head"What am I going to do,,oh well I think I need to dig up more grass.. :D
Sheikea

Postby orchidguy » Mar 16, 2009 9:16 pm

Hiya Lyn

The Kentucky Blue Moon wisteria is one of the hardiest ones that I grow. If you could give it an eastern or southeastern exposure and a good quality soil (not overly rich in nutrients) it should do just fine. I find that there is tip winterkill in colder zones, but this tends to work to my advantage(no need to trim back in spring) . If the soil is too rich, you will get a lot of vegetative growth at the expense of flowers. The KBM (also sold as just Blue Moon) wisteria is a reliable bloomer and an overall healthy plant.
orchidguy

Postby Eeyore » Mar 16, 2009 9:17 pm

Thank You for the endorsement Dan! I will definately be looking into finding a good spot for it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Mar 17, 2009 10:45 am

and I have the perfect spot for 2. east side yard. gets both east and southern exposure.
can you say goodbye buggy virginia creeper that's covering the arbor right now :) :)
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Return to Plant Talk