Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

tomato container

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

tomato container

Postby steamer » Mar 11, 2009 12:55 pm

I'd like to do 2 large containers with tomatoes in this year. I'm going to order some seeds from Veseys & start indoors. I'd like to do cherry & pilgram, however on their website is refers to pilgrim as "determinates (non-staking)". Are these types of tomatos suitable for containers? What are the best tomato types for containers?

Thanks!
steamer

Re: tomato container

Postby Lulu » Mar 11, 2009 2:36 pm

And,,whoever responds to this, could you please explain determinate/indeterminate, one more time,,please, and, thanks!
Lulu

Postby Lindamct » Mar 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Determinate tomatoes set only so many clusters of fruit. They don't keep on growing. Indeterminate grow huge and need sturdy staking and continuous suckering. :D
Lindamct

Postby Lulu » Mar 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Linda, are they identified on the seed pack as such? Been growing tomatoes for over 40 years, and never, ever heard that term till last year? Think I've been under a rock?
Lulu

Postby steamer » Mar 12, 2009 8:06 am

Thanks, that helps me, but which is more suitable for container growing?
steamer

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 15, 2009 9:08 pm

are a lot suitable for containers (again, depending on size of your container!) Look for PATIO tomatoes.

Any of the little grapevine ones, cranberry...the cherry toms.

I grow ALL of my tomatoes in pots, big pots, big pails...20 gal. size/lard buckets. If the season is a good one (hot! not wet!) my yield suits me fine, I grow for two of us, and then for the freezer/salsa/tomatoes for sauces, etc.

Do check out an excellent ORGANIC HERITAGE grower, who is a member of our forums...Clover Roads Farms...located in Southern Ontario. She has never yet let me down in all the years I have ordered from her. She's our O'Grubber.

I am going to smaller pots this year, and less of them...will grow her Green Grape, and her Pom d'amor...both do beautifully for me, as I have had very wet seasons the last two, and must grow in falling down homemade greenhouse for protection from rains.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby mollyzone5 » Mar 17, 2009 9:41 am

Lulu
If a pack says "bush type", that means deteminate.Most tomatos are vines,which are indeterminate.
mollyzone5

Postby mayflower » Mar 18, 2009 10:58 am

I'm trying Orange Pixie tomato (from McFayden) for some containers this year . I have already started a couple of plants (although that's extra early to start tomatoes,) and these plants are very compact and bushy. I think they will be great in containers. The fruit will be orange, golfball size and the plants determinate.
mayflower

Postby joan w » Mar 18, 2009 11:20 am

Last year I bought no name tomatoes from the local grocer. They were indeterminate (keep on growing). When it came to September I pinched all the growing ends off so the strength would go to the tomatoes that were on the way. It worked just fine.

Here's the link to Inge's (O'Grubber) catalogue

http://www.cloverroads.com/
Image Image
joan w

Postby bluewillow » Apr 01, 2009 4:11 pm

I grew both Beefsteak and Ultra Boy and both did well in large blue totes last year. They both required staking.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Next

Return to Container Gardening