Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing an avocado tree on my desk

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Growing an avocado tree on my desk

Postby angusrobinson » May 06, 2009 4:17 pm

Hey everyone. So my desk here at work gets a ton of light (unlike my basement apartment), so I'm trying to load my desk full of plants to satisfy my green thumb. I bought a couple plants, which are great, but there's nothing like germinating a seed on your own and watch it progress. I figured, may as well start BIG! So about 6 or 7 weeks ago, I decided to try my hand at growing an avocado tree. I started with it in a cup of water, with toothpicks to suspend it:
1.jpg

I waited a good four weeks before anything happened. I was actually about to throw it away, suspecting it was a dud, when I realized it had started to split! So I left it in water to develop for a few more weeks, and just last week I planted it in a pot:
2.jpg

It's been progressing nicely, and now has a shoot poking up out of the soil, and the pit is now fully split open. Here are some pics I snapped earlier today:
3.jpg

4.jpg

Pretty exciting! I'll post updates every week or two, although I have a feeling this will be a sloooow growing plant.

Anyone know a good guacamole recipe? ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angusrobinson

Re: Growing an avocado tree on my desk

Postby williamtully » May 06, 2009 4:20 pm

I think the CG users deserve a time-lapse video of the entire event... AND, where's the love to the support crew who looks after your weeds while you're on vacation?! That's it - I'm growing shrubbery between our desks! :wink:
William Tully
Webmaster - WebOps Toronto
Transcontinental Media Inc., Toronto, Ontario
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Postby Laura » May 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Really great ... I had heard about this but never seen it done.Hope it keeps on growing strong for you.

Sorry cant help with a recipe but I'm sure someone will.
Laura

Postby angusrobinson » May 06, 2009 4:26 pm

I think I have some years ahead of me before my guacamole party, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared!

Ah yes... big thanks to William and Jen M. for keeping my plants hydrated during my absence. Although a shrubbery between our desks sounds pretty sweet!
angusrobinson

Postby Lulu » May 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Angus,,good on you, your avacado seed sprouted! Was running the same experiment here, but, gave up on it, at about the 6 week point; nothing was happening, so,,I threw it in the compost, just yesterday.

After your post, I fished it out, and cut it open,,and voila! I think it was getting ready to sprout! Too late now,,been in dried out, too long,,but,,it's encouraged me to get another one going!.Glad you posted!

And,,btw, Angus,,don't be holding your breath for the guacamole!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lulu

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2009 12:27 am

That's cool Angus!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby angusrobinson » May 07, 2009 12:05 pm

@Lulu: I had read online that it usually takes 2 weeks for them to sprout - I guess that's not quite right. I would leave at least a month of time before it sprouts. May as well start a whole bunch at a time as you'll likely have a dud or two. Too bad your pit had dried out... but at least you'll know for next time now!
angusrobinson

Postby kelly_m » May 07, 2009 1:41 pm

That is cool....will your desk support the weight??? And what're you gonna do with all the leftover avacados when you just can't keep up with the harvest??? I'm sure they'll make a mess on your nice clean desk....and your neighbours' desks!!

And ya know your co-workers are gonna get sick of taking home all your leftovers (there's only so much room in those composters.)

8) :wink:

Oh and William...nice to hear you are learning the abc's of gardening and not just a geeky tech guy! :twisted:

Kwho loves fresh guacamole.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby evepet » May 08, 2009 11:03 am

It's fun watching those finally sprout through and grow isn't it! In case you're interested, you can also similiarly start sweet potatoe vines from the actual potato. You do the same thing - toothpicks, suspend in water, etc. I grew a few plants last year that way, and put them in my balcony containers.It was fun watching them sprout and grow.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby angusrobinson » May 08, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for the idea! That could be my next desktop garden project. I am a fan of the yam. How big do the yam plants get??
angusrobinson

Next

Return to Container Gardening