Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Which plants do slugs like?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Which plants do slugs like?

Postby Spinky » May 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Not that I want to invite them to my garden party....

Every year I try some new plants for my garden & without fail some of them get munched by slugs. To avoid this, would someone mind sharing which ones slugs like so I can avoid getting those? Either in perennials or annuals please.

Or if you know of plants they don't like, I'll take the info that way too.

Thanks all!
Spinky

Re: Which plants do slugs like?

Postby Eeyore » May 10, 2009 9:34 pm

Slugs will eat pretty much anything that has a soft leaf texture but they are especaiily fond of Hostas and Clematis. The thicker leaved Hostas are usually OK to plant. It might be easier to find wasys to control, the slugs.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Sheikea » May 12, 2009 9:54 am

I get slugs too and they eat everything.I think his year I was going to try and put some salt down.I heard they don't like it and if that does nto work I'm off to get slug bait. :)
Sheikea

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 13, 2009 12:19 am

The salt might harm the soil, and therefore plants, around that area...I would read up on it first.

I don't have a huge slug problem in my yard, but if I did, I would be inclined to try the beer traps.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Aigle » May 13, 2009 8:00 am

They eat my french marigolds down to the root so I don't bother with them anymore. They don't seem to eat my Impatiens,Nasturtuim (Nasturtia??) or the weedlike but pretty feverfew.

The perennials I seem to have success with in my slug-danger zone are Solomon's seal, Jack in the pulpit, Trillium, Jacob's ladder, Varigated Vinca, Paeony, Foxglove, Woodruff, Shasta Daisy, Crusader's cross, Astilbe, Goat's Beard. Acquiegia and Meadow Rue.

Every Hosta I tries was eaten until my neighbour gave me a spadeful of hers so I don't know the variety. I've also been ok with plain Purple coneflower, but none of the more exotic varieties.

That's what I can think of offhand that survives my slug-zone which is primarily full to partial shade. I pretty much try one small plant of something, and wait a year to see if it survives the onslaught.
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby Spinky » May 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks so much for all the responses everyone - much appreciated!
Spinky

Postby Elle (Markham) » May 17, 2009 2:44 pm

Crushed eggshells around the plants works wonders. No need to waste your $$ on beer to kill slugs. :lol: :lol: I was researching on "coffee grounds" on the Internet, read that you can use coffee grounds against slugs too. It sure will match with the soil rather than white eggshells which stands out like snow in the summer. :lol: :lol:
A garden is the best alternative therapy. ~ Germaine Greer
Elle (Markham)

Return to Plant Talk