Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoes in Containers

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoes in Containers

Postby evepet » May 20, 2009 4:27 pm

Today I bought 2 Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoe seedlings. They're quite bushy and hardy looking , about 6" high. I'm planting them in a round plastic container that's about 18" diameter and about 18" deep. I have a water reservoir in the bottom of it which takes up about 2" of the space at the bottom of the pot, but it provides steady water to the roots and I think this will work well with tomatoes.

I'm wondering how closely together I should plant them in the container? Obviously they're going to have to be fairly close, because it's only a total space of 18" inches.... but I don't know whether 6" is sufficient - or should I leave more space? I plan on getting a tomatoe cage asap and it seems like they'd have to be fairly close together in order to be encircled in one cage?

I'd really appreciate it if somebody can tell me it I'm planning this correctly. :D
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Re: Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoes in Containers

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2009 4:57 pm

That should work OK Eve.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby evepet » May 21, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks Eeyore. I appreciate your help. :)
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby rev1976 » May 21, 2009 11:37 am

Hi Evepet,

I'm new to gardening and was wondering how you create the water reservoir? Thanks
rev1976

Postby evepet » May 21, 2009 12:04 pm

rev1976 wrote:Hi Evepet,

I'm new to gardening and was wondering how you create the water reservoir? Thanks

I took the easy way and bought it from this company. It's called a 'secret soaker' and comes in different sizes.

http://www.englishcountrygardens.ca/

I believe it's possible to assemble something homemade to fill the same need, but I don't know how. Maybe if you do an online search you'll find some info.
evepet

Return to Container Gardening